I'm scheduled for induction sometime over this weekend. The way they do it, they give you a 2-day window, and someone is supposed to call between 6-10am on the first day (tomorrow for me) and tell you when to come in, like as soon as possible, or later in the day, or that you're likely to be pushed to the following day, or whatever.
I'm hoping for a Sunday birth, so I'm hoping they have me come in either late in the day tomorrow or on Sunday morning. But we'll see if I get that far without going into labor on my own... I'll be 39 weeks tomorrow. As soon as Megan, my primary midwife, said she would schedule induction for 39-40 weeks, I immediately asked for the earlier part of that week. This baby is HUGE... likely to be at least 9 pounds at birth, so as far as I'm concerned, the sooner the better (regardless of the fact that I want him to be born this Sunday - I'll explain why later). There was a slot for this weekend available, so that's how that happened.
I went in for my last prenatal appointment today, and saw Lyla - not my primary midwife, but I'd seen her once before, not too long ago. I also had a non-stress test. It was my first one, as I had one scheduled when I was pregnant with Jordyn, but went into labor before the appointment. I got hooked up to the NST first, and the midwife came in to help the RN with that since she couldn't quite get the heart rate monitor in the right place, came back a few minutes later for the regular appointment (just a quick check-in, really, and she asked if I had questions about the induction), and then came back after the NST since I requested a cervical check. All looked great on the NST - I did have a few contractions, but I'm pretty sure they were the same ol' Braxton Hicks ones I've been having for a while now. The baby's heart rate looked great, nice and steady, no issues.
I requested a cervical check because I wanted to get an idea of where I'm starting out with this induction. I have a feeling it's not going to take all that long; this isn't going to be a weekend-long event. I think as soon as my body realizes what's going on - that it's eviction day - it's going to be pretty quick. My labor with Jordyn was 12-13 hours start to finish, and that was a first birth! I anticipate this one will be fairly short, as well, even though the kid is humungous. That's pretty much my one theory of what could slow it down - his size. Well, that and the epidural I fully intend to receive! But I still don't think it'll take all that long, barring something unforeseen happening. So, I wanted to know if I was dilated and/or effaced at all. Basically, I want/need to know how quickly I need to get to the hospital so I can get the epidural before it's too late... now that I know (learned during labor with Jordyn!) I have to get a liter of IV fluids prior to the epidural! Turns out, I'm about 2 cm dilated and 60% effaced. Lyla explained how the cervix is sort of cone-shaped, and at the top-most point where she can feel the baby's head, I'm only a fingertip dilated, but 2, almost 3 cm lower down. TMI warning... There was a bit of blood on her gloved fingers after the check, so she said I'd likely have some bloody discharge from the check, but that it didn't necessarily mean anything.
Well, I have had some bloody discharge the rest of the day, and I've definitely been having plenty of contractions, but I can't quite decide if they're anything other than just a bunch of Braxton Hicks. Jordyn and I met my parents and sister out for dinner, and I almost called right before we left and asked my parents to pick up Jordyn to take her out, and stay home to time contractions and see if anything happened. The last thing I wanted was for my water to break in the middle of a crowded restaurant! In the end, I did go to dinner, and while I wasn't feeling great when we got there, I felt better once I had something to eat and drank a good amount of water. Still had some contractions, but nothing major. I had timed a couple of contractions late this afternoon before going to dinner, but gave up on that pretty quickly, because I was fairly convinced they were nothing other than BH.
So, now it's almost 10pm, Jordyn's sleeping, and I'm sitting here wondering if I'm going to go into labor sometime tonight, or if I will end up being induced tomorrow or Sunday. Every time I decide the contractions are nothing and are slowing down, I have another one, and I do think they're coming more often than they had been (I've been having BH for a long time), but they don't seem to be turning into true labor. It's a bit confusing, which I wasn't expecting, since I've done this before!
Why do I want to the baby to be born on Sunday? Well... it's pretty dumb, actually, but this is how my mind works: If the baby comes on Sunday, his birthdate would be October 9th, or 10/9. Jordyn's birthday is August 7th, or 8/7. So my kids' birthdays would be 10-9-8-7. Ridiculous to care about that, but my head really likes it. It would also make the bris easier to schedule, since it wouldn't be on Shabbat (Saturday), although if he's born after sundown on Saturday, that would be a Sunday bris, too. But really it's about the numbers, what can I say. :) My sister's girlfriend's birthday is on Sunday, and she wants the baby to be born on her birthday. I don't particularly care for my sister's gf, so I could care less about that, but it may happen, and it works for the numbers. I'd be good with Monday, too - 10/10 - but I just don't think that's likely with how fast I'm convinced this is going to go. We'll see what happens. A week or two ago, I was just hoping to make it to October - I really wanted an October baby, not a September one, because October is my favorite month. I love the weather, I love the fall foliage, and the one thing I've "known" about my wedding - were I to ever have one - is that I wanted it to be in October. But I'll gladly take an October baby, instead!
In other, but related news, I'm a little emotional about the end of "me and Jordyn". Our 1:1 relationship we've had for over four years. I lay in bed cuddling with her after reading books tonight, which is our usual thing, and I just kept thinking that this was the last time I'd be doing that for a while, or maybe ever. Next time, there will be a newborn to contend with, or maybe cuddling with us. It just won't be the same - it won't be "just us". I get a little teary thinking about it, if I'm being honest. I'm well aware this is a temporary feeling, and as soon as this baby is born and in my arms, I'll feel like our family is complete, and it'll soon feel like he was always here, and all will be well. But for right now... I can't help being a little wistful at the thought of something good coming to an end. Damn pregnancy hormones!
So exciting! My midwife stripped my membranes at 38w6d (with my second) and we were both sure it wouldn't do anything since I was induced at 41w2d with my first but my water broke that night and labor started soon thereafter! And Amelie was born early the next morning. It was perfect.
ReplyDeleteSo fingers crossed for you! Can't wait to hear your birth story!
Saw on FB of course but congratulations! I remember well that moment I hugged Bobby knowing it was the last time it would be just me and him. It was a bittersweet moment for sure. So far Jordyn looks like an awesome big sister!
ReplyDelete