First of all, and most importantly - the baby looks healthy. All anatomy they checked - heart, brain, stomach, kidneys, etc. all look good and like they should. Baby weighs about 8 ounces and is the right size for where it should be right now.
Second, the placenta is posterior (which is good), and just slightly low and too close to the cervix (not as good, but not necessarily bad; I think the doctor called it "marginal previa" in the report). The doctor said as the uterus grows larger, this will likely correct itself, but he recommends another ultrasound at 24-28 weeks to double check on this, and also to check the baby's growth. I think this ultrasound is something many doctors recommend, but my midwives don't usually order any additional ultrasounds after the anatomy scan unless there are issues. So, I may actually end up having a third ultrasound, which is just fine with me!
And last, what you've all been waiting for (well, maybe!)... Both the ultrasound tech and the doctor are pretty sure the baby is a...
...GIRL!!!
I'm so excited! A little nervous, though, because she wasn't being very cooperative and we never did get a good between-the-legs shot, so I have no proof of the girl-ness. At one point the doctor said he's 99% sure it's a girl, but he also said to save the receipts if we go shopping. :) There was apparently a loop of umbilical cord between the legs, and she really wasn't ever in a good position to get a good shot, but I figure if both the tech and the doc saw "girl", then a girl it most likely is. Right?!? Hopefully the next ultrasound will confirm it, and I think I may do a 3D ultrasound when I'm in Tennessee for Passover in April (my parents really kinda want to do this, and I do, too!), so that should confirm it even earlier.
My mom and I went directly from the ultrasound appointment to TJ Maxx, and did a little damage in the baby department! :) We also went to Carter's a couple of days later and got a few more things. I'm saving the receipts, though, just in case. Wow, it's SO easy to spend SO MUCH on cute baby girl clothes, though, I really have to watch out!!
It was kind of funny during the ultrasound - the tech kept bouncing the wand on my belly trying to wake up the baby and get her to move around. The tech was great, very patient, explained everything we were seeing as we were seeing it (at my request), and really tried hard to get the gender shot. The baby was moving enough that it wasn't concerning, just not jumping around enough to get all the good pics we needed/wanted, including the gender shot. At one point, the tech had me lie on my left side to see if that would get the baby to move, but it didn't help too much. I knew to drink some orange juice before the scan to help get the baby hyped up, but I didn't have any. I ate some girl scout cookies instead - I figure those have sugar, right? But I think I ate them too early and the sugar high had worn off by the time the scan started, because we had to wait quite a while in the waiting room. When the tech finally gave up and left the room, she told me to stand up and touch my toes a few times to see if that would get the baby to move before the doctor came in. I got up, touched my toes, and jumped around a little. It was pretty funny. My mom also gave me a mint hard candy, thinking the sugar might help. The baby did move some, and the doctor got a few more shots he wanted, and a look between the legs, but the baby still never got into a good position for him to get a gender picture. Oh, well. I'm going with girl until proven otherwise. :)
Congrats on your girl! It's funny when they don't want to "cooperate" - makes you realize how often this will be the case when they're here in the flesh! When I had my 3D (4D?) ultrasound the Eastern European tech lady kept singing to the baby "ya ya" and he seemed to respond to that. She's obviously learned this trick from years of experience!
ReplyDeleteMy u.s. tech had to do the same bouncing wand technique! Congrats, it is so exciting to find out the baby's gender and start to really picture what she will be like! There are so many cute baby girl clothes out there right now!
ReplyDeleteA baby girl! Yay!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that she looks healthy and all is good on the scan. As for the 3D scan, I did it and I'm so happy I did. Totally worth it!