In case anyone is worried or wondering... Jordyn and I are fine. Safe at home. We were miles away from the bombings at the Boston Marathon today. In fact, we had just walked to a playground near our house, had maybe been there for about five minutes, when the explosions happened. I didn't hear about them until we got home about an hour later. I got on my computer to check my work email, ended up on facebook (go figure), and started to see all the posts about the bombings. I had no idea what they were talking about, so I put on the tv and saw what had happened.
Horrific.
Absolutely horrific.
What the fuck is wrong with people?? What is happening to this world??
There's a google doc online where nice, well-meaning people are offering to put up marathon runners and their families who can't get home or back to where they're supposed to be staying. I was seriously considering offering to put people up - I have a guest room with two twin beds and a twin inflatable mattress, plus a second bathroom - but then I decided against it. I was going to make it sound like I was part of a couple by saying "we" could put people up, but then I decided it wasn't worth it to chance someone taking advantage of this situation. What if someone took me up on my offer and then killed me? Raped me? Ransacked my house? Stole from me? Worse... hurt or kidnapped Jordyn? Oh, HELL no! So, as much as I wanted to try to help, and as much as it *probably* would have been fine... I just couldn't take the chance. And that's sad, that I even had to consider that, and feel that way.
I'm not working today/tonight, and that's such a good thing. I called in to see how things were there, and to see if they needed help. My colleague said it was "nuts", but that she didn't need help at the time. She had a couple of people helping her out already, and said there were a bunch of social workers on site. I do work tomorrow, though, so I'll probably hear all about the craziness that was today (I work in the Boston Children's emergency department).
Crazy. Just crazy. My thoughts are with the victims of these explosions and their families. Apparently an 8-year-old boy was one of the 3 (so far) casualties. Unbelievable. Seriously, WTF is *wrong* with people???
It'll be interesting to see what happens to the Boston Marathon in the future.
Glad to read you & J are safe & well. I know what you mean about being leary about offering help you just can't take any chances when your kid is involved.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you are both safe. The whole thing is just so surreal-how can someone dream up such an awful idea?
ReplyDelete