Thursday, April 4, 2013

Sleep Update and Parenthood Side Effects

I know you're all waiting with bated breath to find out what happened Saturday night, after my dad let Jordyn sleep from 6:40-9:30pm before asking me what he should do. Well, he ended up letting her sleep, and she woke up on her own at almost 11:00. They gave her a bottle and let her play for a while until she seemed tired again, I think around midnight. Then they tried getting her to go back to sleep, but when I got there around 12:40, she was crying within minutes. I don't think she'd actually fallen asleep yet. I tried to get her to sleep for a while, and so did my dad, and I eventually took her into bed with me at around 2:00. I don't remember if I ended up giving her tylenol or anything, but I don't think so. She slept til around 5:00 or 5:30, and then woke up, raring to go, but still seeming tired. And I was PLENTY tired. I got her back to sleep, but it took until around 6:00 or 6:30, and then I think she slept until maybe 8:00. Ugh. NOT a good night!

Last night, however... :)   :)   :)   Last night she slept like a CHAMP. I worked from 5:30-12, and Jordyn was home with the babysitter. She'd fallen asleep for a nap at 4:00, and was still sleeping when I left at 5:00. At 7:00, I texted to ask the sitter how long Jordyn slept... She said she was just about to text me, as Jordyn was still sleeping and she was thinking maybe she should wake her up. I had her wake her up, feed her dinner, and play for a while, and told her to just do bedtime when Jordyn got tired again. She said Jordyn fell asleep around 9:30 or so. Guess what time she slept until this morning??? Just guess!!

8:00!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe even a few minutes after 8. I went to sleep at 1, and actually woke up before her, after a solid SEVEN HOURS IN A ROW of sleep! I lay there for a minute, incredulous, before deciding that maybe I should check to make sure she was ok. I quietly opened the door to her room and looked at her chest, which was rising and falling as it should. She was fine, she was just *asleep*!! She woke up about five minutes later. She was in a good mood, and so was I, so we had a good morning, and I decided that today was going to be a good day, despite the fact that I have to work for 12 hours. So far, so good!

***************************************************************

There's a doctor who's also a mom who blogs for Boston Children's Hospital. Her posts are usually about parenting-related things, and this week's post is especially awesome. It's called "The Possible Side Effects of Parenthood", and I think you'll all get a kick out of it. Here's the link:

The Possible Side Effects of Parenthood

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm going to take your dad's side for a moment and say (from the previous post) that it sounds to me like maybe Jordyn wants to go to bed earlier. I know that's annoying to hear. But Calliope's bedtime got much earlier than I had planned. But for a baby to pass out and sleep three hours at that time... that's not a nap. That's nighttime sleep. C would never have taken an evening nap longer than 45 minutes at that age. If she hadn't been hungry (and disoriented), she may have slept through the night.

    So maybe that bedtime won't work for you but... something to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering if Abby is on to something....Finn napped in the late afternoon/evening until he was maybe 10 months (I can't remember for sure) and then would only nap for about 45 minutes. That long a nap in the late afternoon suggests that maybe she's not getting enough sleep the rest of the day, or wants to go to sleep earlier.

    Of course, she's been so out of sorts with sleep lately, it's hard to be sure of anything right now, I bet! Glad she slept well last night!

    ReplyDelete