... I secretly love it!
I mean, don't get me wrong, it is kinda annoying when she won't leave me alone, won't let me put her down, won't go to anyone else, even for a few minutes. And the kid is HEAVY. At her 9 month appointment, she was in the 92nd percentile for weight!
But honestly? I really like it. For so, so, so long I worked with kids, babysat kids, volunteered with kids who all wanted THEIR parents.
And now I finally have my very own child who wants ME!!!
It feels great.
She doesn't have it too badly, at least not yet. It depends on her mood and how tired she is. She'll sometimes go to other people, she'll usually go to my parents (although once I left her with them and she screamed for about five minutes, I think), and today she easily let me hand her to a potential new babysitter for a few minutes (although I was sitting right across from them the whole time).
But I can't help but love it when I'm holding her, and someone comes up to talk to her, and (especially when it's someone she doesn't know or doesn't know well) she puts her head down on my shoulder in that kind of shy way while looking at them. Or even just when she sees me, smiles, and crawls over to me to pick her up, even just for a quick hug.
So, as long as it doesn't get out of hand, and it sticks to being a very developmentally-appropriate phase, I'm kinda happy she's going through it. I love being that comfort, that safety... I guess I love being a mom.

I secretly enjoy it too! Right now it is sweet, if they are still doing it at 10 years old, then we got a problem!
ReplyDeleteMe too!! I love that even now, Elena will cling to me when we first enter a new situation. Although recently she's starting to call for my Mom instead of me when she gets a bump & I have to remind myself not to get jealous.
ReplyDeleteI secretly love it too. And I still find it hard to believe that there is someone clinging to me. After years of being the babysitter pealing kids off their parents its I nice feeling to be the one clung to.
ReplyDelete