Ok, this is probably the most extreme first world problem there is. So extreme, that it even annoys me to think that I'm even struggling with it, so if it's annoying to you, too, feel free to stop reading anytime!
A week or so ago, my dad brought up the idea of me and Jordyn going on a trip somewhere with my parents before the baby comes. The way he asked - "Would you like to go on a trip somewhere interesting with me and mom?" - I thought he already had a destination in mind. But he didn't. He was just floating the idea of going on a trip, and if I was on board, we could figure out where to go. He started to suggest places in Europe, which I personally think is kind of crazy with a not-quite-four-year-old. I mean, why?? A long flight with a many-hour time change, and then what would we do when we got there? Take Jordyn to a bunch of museums and walk around looking at architecture?! To be honest, *I'M* not even that interested in that stuff! It just seems like the wrong destination to me. We didn't decide on anything, and he left the next day on a ski trip with his college buddies, so the conversation was put on hold.
I did a little research while he was away, though, trying to figure out a place to go that we would all enjoy, without it being too much work, without too much driving, in non-Zika virus territory, with things I could do while pregnant, readily-accessible bathrooms, etc. I came up with the idea of an all-inclusive type resort in the mountains or on the coast, but not south - like Vermont if we wanted to stay closer, or even the Pacific Northwest to add to the interest factor (different scenery, a part of the country I haven't spent too much time, etc.).
Today, my dad and I started to talk about possibilities and we sat at his computer and looked at a bunch of websites and maps. He's not so into the all-inclusive idea, but would rather do something like a 2-3 city trip, driving between them, and staying 2-3 nights in each place. "Ugh", was my first thought, partially because I know how my dad likes to travel - nonstop, go-go-go all day long, minimal bathroom breaks, off-the-beaten-path places... UGH. Most of that (I'm usually ok with off-the-beaten-path) doesn't sound good for a vacation under normal circumstances, but while pregnant?! No thanks!
We did kind of end up talking about a Pacific Northwest trip, flying into Portland, driving out to to Long Beach, WA or somewhere around there, and then up to Seattle, flying back from there. The drive would be a total of 5-6 hours, and we wouldn't do it all in one day. I'm interested in seeing that part of the country, since I haven't spent much time out there. I went to a conference in Seattle once, years ago, and did go to the fish market and the space needle, and I spent a week in Vancouver many, many years ago, but that's about it. My dad swears he'll make as many bathroom stops as I need, and I think there would be fun things to do with Jordyn, at least in Portland and Seattle (not sure what there's to do in Long Beach other than look at the scenery). I was pretty set on this, and we started to talk about dates, and it turns out, since I work part-time, that I could take 3 days off in June and end up with 9 days off in a row...
... So then my dad threw a real wrench into things (here's where the whole first world problem issue really gets going!). He asked if I had someone I could travel with to go pretty much anywhere I want, because with 9 days off, I could really go wherever - like Europe or other international destinations. He and my mom would take Jordyn, and I could jet off to wherever for 9 days with a friend. I'm pretty sure I don't have any friends who could just drop everything and pay for a 9-day international vacation with me three months from now (haha!), so then he suggested one of his sisters. He has two, and one would be a great travel companion; the other one would be absolute torture to spend 9 days with. Assuming the former could get off of work, my dad would pay for her to go, and we could go... literally wherever. Hmmm.
My first thought, honestly, was that I don't really want to leave Jordyn for that long. But he kept saying things like, this is my last chance to do something like this for probably many years, and it kind of got me thinking. I told him I'd think about it. And I started googling potential places to go and trying to think it all through. It would certainly be easier to pack and travel for just me, and my dad kind of has a point that I'll never have this chance again, at least not for a VERY long time.
Hence my extreme first world problem.
Do I...
A) go on a trip with Jordyn and my parents to the PNW, which would likely be fun for all, if a little stressful packing, traveling, and dealing with a 3-hour time change for/with Jordyn, or
B) go on more of a true "babymoon" with my aunt to Venice or Paris or Amsterdam or Iceland or Hawaii or ______ (literally anywhere Zika-free and with decent healthcare) and leave Jordyn for 8-9 days??????????????
I've also thought of a potential option C), which would be doing the PNW trip, and then maybe going on a mini-babymoon somewhere very close to home for a weekend, without Jordyn. Not sure what that would look like, and if I'd be doing it solo or a with a friend or whatever, but it would be a bit of a compromise, a way to do both, but it wouldn't include the potentially once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go somewhere really cool and interesting.
What would you do? Where would you go?
Like I needed *this* to stress about! But I'm absolutely 100% NOT COMPLAINING!!!!
Having lived with two little kids for the past 8 months now, I find that I miss some of the quality time with just my oldest. He needs that one-on-one attention and I can't always give it to him. My vote would be a trip with Jordan. I suppose it also depends on how you are feeling during your pregnancy, if you are exhausted, then that might impact the activities you participate in.
ReplyDeleteI would try to set aside all the details of WHERE you would go and try to get quiet for a little while and listen to your heart. What do YOU need right now?
ReplyDeleteI think there is nothing wrong with taking a trip all by yourself. Absolutely not. If this would fill your tank, do it! If you feel like you would be doing it just because you are "supposed to," then don't.
I wouldn't worry about Jordyn's needs too much. She will do great either way. You can't prevent jealousy later.
No right answer here. I do like your third option of doing a long trip with Jordyn then taking a long weekend away by yourself. My personal preference with preschoolers is to stay put in one place longer than a couple of days. If you stick with the PNW you could consider going to Victoria on Vancouver Island (fantastic city with strong British flavor) and/or city of Vancouver. You can get to Victoria on a boat from Seattle called the Victoria Clipper so it is very easy to do both Seattle and Victoria and not feel like you are traveling from place to place so much. Another west Coast alternative would be California (maybe San Fran, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur)- weather would be more guaranteed nice in June than the PNW (which can still be rainy especially in early June). So, yeah, no real help here just don't feel obligated and I'd say pregnant with a kiddo plan on more relaxing and less busy trip. What a nice problem to have!
ReplyDelete