I made a discovery today... The Wonders of Babysitters!
I mean, I'm no idiot - I know what babysitters are and what they do, I just hadn't actually *used* one before.
But today I did.
And... wow. It was awesome!
J, Jordyn's nanny/babysitter person, came over today for three hours, for another session of orientation and the two of them getting to know each other. And unlike Saturday, I actually left the house.
I didn't even do anything interesting (I got my eyebrows waxed, browsed in a store I pass all the time but had never been in, went to the ATM, and grocery shopping), it was just really cool to leave the house - on my own - get a few things accomplished, and then go home, to find Jordyn safe, happy, and excited to see me. :)
And then when I got home, J kept Jordyn occupied so I could put away the groceries, fold a load of laundry, and <gasp!> actually put it away as soon as it was folded!
This was the first time I'd ever left Jordyn with anyone other than my parents or my sister. I was a little nervous (although it was kind of easier to leave than I thought it would be), but it was fine. And I even resisted the urge to call and check in - I mean, I was only gone for 2 hours, and J knew she could call me any time.
Of course, one of the things I did when I was out was go to the ATM so I'd have money to pay J for both Saturday and today. Ugh. Yeah, this babysitting thing is going to cost me a fortune! But, I daresay I think it's going to be worth it! I was able to get some errands done without having to drag Jordyn along, and she was truly fine being at home with the sitter for a couple of hours. And seeing how excited she was to see me when I got home was priceless!
And this all happened in the morning, so we were able to spend the whole rest of the day together, so I didn't feel like I missed out on too much of "my" time with Jordyn.
I realize this post is a far cry from my last one, when I was feeling sort of weird/bad about the whole nanny thing, and feeling more of the negatives about it. But today my dad came to the vet with me, so I didn't have to wrangle the baby and the dog at the same time (and of course Jordyn ended up sleeping through the whole thing), and then he came over to hang out for a little bit. I'm feeling less bad about having hired a nanny when he wasn't thrilled about the idea - maybe because it doesn't seem like he's really upset about it? I dunno. But regardless, I'm feeling more positive about the whole thing. I think seeing J prove herself capable of keeping Jordyn safe and happy for a couple of hours without me around has made all the difference. Now to see if she can handle bedtime...!
So glad today went well!
ReplyDeleteOne of the things the therapist recommended at my consult today was making sure I used a babysitter for more than just work. She stressed that it was important to get out and do fun things, because it will make me happier, and therefore make me a better mom. Plus, as our kids get older, it's important for them to know that we have more to our lives than work and them.
It definitely helped take some of the guilt out of using a sitter for fun stuff!
Yeah!!! It is nice to run a few errands without having to haul the heavy baby carrier and diaper bag. I do think it is important and healthy to get out alone every now and again. Then again, I'm dreading the day when I need to actually hire a babysitter to come to my house. So far, Isaac has been to daycare and babysat by family only.
ReplyDeleteSo glad that it went well for the both of you, well actually all three of you!
ReplyDeleteI think it's essential to have a sitter for us to just get out and be social and/or productive. I've had to do this from day one and I think B is more social and easy going because of it.
ReplyDeleteThat's great. I am all for the idea of a babysitter, but it's the high cost that keeps me from doing it more often. I do agree, it is worth it.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your blog! Well, i think there are really times that requires us to hire a babysitter. We definitely could use some help from them. Goodluck!
ReplyDelete- BabySittersRegistry.com
Incredible, I am so very impressed by your creativity. I think this piece of information was really worth my time. What a subtle and fascinating method of narrating exciting stuff! Thanks buddy for acquainting us with this.
ReplyDeletebaby sitters sydney