Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Potty Training?!?


Jordyn is exactly 17.5 months old today. 

And she went pee pee in the potty for the first time!!

So does that mean we're supposed to start some sort of formal potty training system now?? I wasn't planning on that anytime soon. I think I may just keep following her lead, which was my plan for now.

I ordered her a potty a week or two ago, and she'd sat on it briefly once or twice, but then we were out of town for the past five days. Earlier this afternoon, she sat on it again briefly while I was also on the (big) potty. But then tonight, she started to say "potty" and head towards the stairs (the potty is upstairs, and we were downstairs). I decided, "what the hell", fine, let's go upstairs and sit on the potty - we've been stuck inside all afternoon due to a snowstorm, and it'll give us something to do. 

So upstairs we went, I pulled down her pants, took off her diaper, and helped her sit on the potty. She's  still a little tentative with the actual action of sitting down, I guess because she's not completely used to there not being anything underneath most of her tush when she does, plus there's the splash guard thing that she has to sort of sit behind. She sat there for maybe 10 minutes or so, maybe even longer. Every so often she'd stand up, and I'd ask if she was finished and ready to go put on a diaper. She kept answering "no", but then again, she always answers no these days! Again, since we had nothing else to do, I went with it. She'd sit back down each time. We read some books, and I figured, hey, maybe she'll just randomly happen to pee while she's sitting here, and we can throw a party. Well... she did! At least, I think that's what happened. Who knows, maybe it really was a purposeful pee! I had been asking her if she was going to pee pee in the potty, and encouraging her to do so. 

She started to reach between her legs and put her hands into the potty, and I told her that hands don't go in the potty, that potties are only for pee pee and poopy. She kept putting a hand back in, and then one time she said "wah-tuh" (water), pulled her hand out, and when she touched her leg it was wet! I was totally surprised, because I hadn't heard the pee pee hitting the bottom of the potty, and I thought I would have. I did throw her a party! I don't want to reward with food, but I loaded on the praise big time. 

So now I don't know what to do. It almost felt wrong, somehow, to put a diaper on her right after that. Like, "yay, you went pee pee in the potty, now here, next time pee pee in a diaper". Huh? That seems confusing. But obviously she's not ready to not have a diaper on yet, so I guess I don't really know how to proceed. As I said, I think for now I'm just going to follow her lead. Is there such a thing as toddler-led potty training?? If she asks to sit on the potty, I'll certainly let her do it. And I may ask if she wants to sit on the potty before bath time, and maybe first thing in the morning, at least on the mornings I don't have to get to work and we're not in a rush. But I won't push her to do it if she doesn't want to. I may get a second potty to put on the first floor of the house. 

I know some kids are actually potty trained by now, or are well on their way. I just didn't think Jordyn was there yet. I figured she'd have to sit on the potty multiple, multiple times before anything actually happened. But yet, here we are. I'm so proud of her! Maybe potty training will end up being easier than I thought... 


5 comments:

  1. Isaac often says "pobby" (potty) and walks into the bathroom. He has sat on it many times (usually he requests it when I'm getting his bath ready and other random times), all based on his interest...but so far, nothing. He just doesn't seem to care about having a wet diaper, and he flat out lies about having a poopy diaper! I will be following to see what your next step is in all of this. I haven't really figured out what my plan is going to be, other than taking his cues for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did baby/toddler led potty training if you would call it that. After she went in the potty the first time I just started setting her in it at diaper changes. She gradually started going more in the potty and less in her diaper. When she started staying dry for longer periods of time we started going diaperless, and then transitioned to underwear. With each step I was concerned that I wouldn't know what to do next but it just sort of happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend (who has three kids, and homeschools) says that for a lot of kids, 16-18 months is an ideal time to potty train because they haven't hit the "terrible 2s" yet. I, frankly, haven't found the 2s that bad. I think 3s are supposed to be a lot worse.

    But, to answer your question, I don't think you have to do anything hard. You can totally did what SurlyMama did.

    I do think that offering her some diaper free time is a great and easy way to do it. What you could consider is only offering it after she goes on the potty, to prevent accidents. Of course, then she isn't going to pee... which protects your floors but also isn't really helping her learn. It took me a long time to learn that I HAD to let Calliope have some accidents so she could realize what it felt like.

    Once I loosened up about accidents, the learning went a lot faster. If I have a second child, I would probably start at Jordyn's age, if said child was interested. But I don't think it has to be an all or nothing thing unless you want to do it that way. Boot camp appeals to my personality but there are many ways to do this.

    I recommend Once Upon a Potty -- Calliope loves it! (it's a book.)

    Right when she wakes up and right before bath (when the water is running) are good times to "catch" pees -- and then when those catches happen, you can get really excited and she will learn to associate the feeling of peeing with Mommy getting really happy.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Job J!! Having just gotten E out of diapers, my advice is to let her lead the way as suggested above. I really let her lead the way for the most part. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete