Friday, February 28, 2014

Jordyn's First Haircut

This post is a week late, as her first haircut was actually last Friday. She was exactly 18 and a half months old, which I didn't do on purpose.

My mom's been bugging me to get her a haircut for months. Well, after I told her it was annoying, she pretty much stopped saying anything, but I know she was still thinking it. And she was kinda right, eventually - Jordyn's hair had gotten pretty long and kept falling into her eyes. I'd brush it back, but it just fell again. And Jordyn won't leave any kind of barrette, elastic, or clip in her hair. She calls all of it a "bow", and she's fine with me putting them in, but she just pulls them out immediately. And usually wants me to put it right back in - we could play this game all day! And the back of her hair was uneven, longer on the sides and a little shorter in the middle, and kind of straggly-looking.

I didn't get her a haircut for a while, even though she needed one, because I just wasn't ready. It just seemed like such a big step, and would sort of take away a piece of her babyhood or something. I know that's silly, but for whatever reason, I just wasn't ready.

But then I looked at her one day, and all of a sudden, I thought, "OMG, she looks like such a ragamuffin!" and I was almost embarrassed by the state of her hair. And so, off to Snip-Its we went!

She did AMAZINGLY well!! I was expecting her to have at least somewhat of a hard time, but she didn't. She sat in the chair, ate animal crackers, and looked over at the little girl in the next space at times (who was just slightly younger than her and who we'd met while we were waiting) who was crying and carrying on like, "What's your problem? This is no big deal!". The woman who cut her hair (I think her name was Karen) was fantastic, patient, and did a great job even though Jordyn was a moving target. Even though she sat in the chair with no problem, she'd lean forward, turn her head, etc. And Karen just kept up with her, talked to her, and was just really good with her.

Before, front.
Before, back.


Looking at the girl across from her who was crying pretty much the whole time.
Karen offered to put her hair in pigtails. I told her she could, but that Jordyn
would likely pull them right out. She did it anyway, so I could get a picture. 
Pigtails in.
Pigtails coming out.
Pigtails out. Also an "after" picture. I don't know why Jordyn looks
so serious in this pic, she was fine, just not smiling.
More "after" pics. At lunch with my friend K after the haircut.



3 comments: