I've been thinking a lot about villagers the last few days. You know, the people in the village that it takes to raise a child.
Make no mistake - I'm totally, completely, 100% on-board with the "it takes a village to raise a child" thing. I believe in it, want it, need it, and like it.
But. Doesn't it make a difference WHO your villagers are? Shouldn't you get some say in who "lives" in your village? I mean, it's YOUR child, right? And these villagers are going to make an impact on his or her life. So picking and choosing, to some extent, seems to make sense to me. For example, you meet someone who seems nice, but then you realize they're an alcoholic. Or has a history of unstable behavior. Or lies. Or cheats. Or steals. How much of an impact do you now want this person to have on your child? So you'd probably limit the amount of time they spend together, or maybe even cut it off completely.
But then you have your family, who are automatic villagers, unless you take your child and move off to some remote island somewhere and cut off all contact. Or maybe if your family already lives far away and you don't see them too often, they'd still be villagers, but ones with less of an impact because you don't see them too often. That could work.
So what happens when you have these automatic villagers - your family members - who live nearby, who see your child usually multiple times a week, including times when you're not around to keep an eye on things, and you don't like the impact they're having, or could potentially have, on your child? When they don't respect your parenting decisions (forget about them actually agreeing with them)? When there are factors that make your feelings about these things not seem important to them, because another villagers feelings/issues are more important to them? What then? Do you limit the amount of time you and/or your child spend with these villagers? Do you try to set ground rules around the time they spend with your child? Do you take your child and leave when the ground rules are broken, or when a situation otherwise becomes such that you don't want your child to be there?
Maybe I'm just a bitch. Maybe I'm just a momzilla. But what I think I am is a "Mama Bear" who's trying to do the best she can to provide the right environment and influences for her child.
No one's perfect, I know that - including me. But sometimes the shit that goes down in my family is really, truly, incredibly difficult to deal with, and it makes me want to significantly limit the time Jordyn and I spend with them. My parents write off any inappropriate behavior my brother engages in as being due to his bipolar disorder and therefore he can't control it. I think that's bullshit. I think when he's not psychotic, not in a manic or depressive episode - when he's stable - he absolutely can and should be expected to control his behavior to pretty much the same extent anyone else can and should. The rest of us shouldn't be expected to pussyfoot around him all the time and just let him do and say whatever he wants. But we are; that's exactly what my parents expect. And it makes it seem like our feelings don't matter - it doesn't matter that something made me extremely upset, I "should be more understanding because he's seriously ill", especially since I work in the medical field. Ha! I work in the medical field, not the mental health field - they're very different in many ways.
I just don't think that's fair. My feelings should matter, too. But to my parents, my mom especially, it doesn't matter that I was very upset after something that happened when Jordyn and I were at my parents' house on Friday night. It only matters that my brother was upset, and seemed very down all day on Saturday. I should just take it, and care only about not upsetting him.
I think we SMCs have a harder time with the whole family-members-as-automatic-villagers issue because there's no buffer. Married/partnered couples spend some time with each of their families, so they're not with either one too much. And even if only one of their families lives close, I think they still spend more time together as their own family and less with their parents. Because I don't have a partner, there's no other family to spend time with, and because it's just me and Jordyn, we're somehow expected to do all "family" things - holidays, etc. - with my parents and siblings.
But what about the family I'm creating (well, trying to create!) with me as a parent? It seems that because there's no second parent, my parents expect us to just stick with them for everything, and not spend time doing our own thing. I don't think my parents and siblings see Jordyn and I as a family of our own, in our own right. So instead of Jordyn and I having the time and space to create our own traditions and do our own thing, we're just expected to keep doing the same things as before, just with Jordyn there.
It's a fine balance, I think. It's not that I don't want to spend any time with my parents and siblings. They're my family, and I love them and need them and want to maintain my relationships with them and have Jordyn build relationships with them. But I also want to feel as though Jordyn and I are our own family, and be given the time, space, and respect of my family members to do that.
Where's the line? Maybe I crossed it a while back, or inadvertently drew one in the sand in the wrong place, and now that I'm realizing that, it feels like it's too late to change it. Or maybe there is no line yet, that actually feels more accurate. But I think I need to draw one, if I can figure out where.
I want to be able to do things with Jordyn without some member of my family always tagging along. I want to be able to take Jordyn to see Disney on Ice without a guilt trip from my mom because I didn't invite her. I want to feel like I actually have the option of eventually taking Jordyn to Disneyworld for the first time on my own, or with friends, and that it's not a given that my parents will be there, too. I want my mom to stop making comments about how much she misses Jordyn when she doesn't see her for two (TWO!) days. I want to spend some Friday nights at home, creating and doing our own Shabbat traditions, and not always go to dinner at my parents' house. But still sometimes go! Like I said before, I think it's a balancing act.
I think loneliness comes into play here, but that's a whole other post for a whole other night. For now, suffice it to say that I'm having trouble figuring out my village, or at least my family's role as villagers. Are all villagers created equal? Do all villagers have equal rights and responsibilities? Where's that line?
And speaking of whole other posts... Would a second child make it feel like we're more of our "own" family? NOT that that's why I'd have a second child, I just wish I knew if it would change anything or not...
I can't imagine how maddening it must be to have a mentally ill sibling who always gets a pass, and then also have family who was so demanding of our time. I like a lot of personal space and kind of relish the fact that my closest family member is 3000 miles away. Not that I don't love them, as you do yours, but...as you said, it's better to choose your village.
ReplyDeleteI have a theory that having a second child makes people think you are somehow more of a family and therefore more capable of doing your own thing and not needing to have family members always tag along. Not sure if this is true or not - I guess I'll find out shortly!
I can totally relate to parents requiring the entire family to bend over backwards to please the "troubled" sibling in the family. Yes, it is very frustrating when you are trying to establish a moral compass for your own child. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.
ReplyDeleteAs for the guilt trip from your mom, I get that from my dad just about every weekend! This past weekend it was because he wanted me to bring my son over to play for an hour on Sunday afternoon. Then was guilt tripping me when I said no because we needed to get things done before we had our family dinner a few hours later!
Parenthood has made me ballsier in some aspects. Sometimes we just have to stand up for what we believe in....luckily, family will continue to love us even if they don't like our choices (after all, our brothers have clearly screwed up a gazillion of times and yet they are still loved). If you are like me, then you just don't like to disappoint family though.
You're right, it's definitely a balancing act. I don't believe you're any less of a family just because there's just the 2 of you. In my opinion, you're entitled to make boundaries for you & J & enforce them as you see fit...but it's not as easy as that, is it? Family is complicated, big & small ones.
ReplyDeleteI read the comments and I am not sure where I stand on this. I have a lot of mental illness in my family and they always get a pass. The pass usually has nothing to do with the people who are not mental ill in the situation. The pass is usual given by the parent who is dealing with their own issues with that child. They have guilt or walk on egg shells for another episode not to happen. Then everyone else is supposed to suck it up because they are not ill. It isn't fair, but they want you to suck it up because they feel your are the capable one. The mental ill person can fall to pieces at anytime. It not fair but you have to understand your parents feelings with a mentally ill child. How would you deal if your child was mentally ill? I have to say I would have a hard time answering that question for myself.
ReplyDeleteAs far as your Mom's guilt. I have to say you are the only one who can diagnose your mother on that end. Meaning you know her. If she has been guilting you, your whole life to push things in the direction she wants. I doubt it will stop now. You can draw a line in the sand but can you deal with her reaction after you do??? I keep up with your blog and I remember you parents moved to help you. They could feel they are co-parenting and that is why they moved. I am shooting in the dark here.
A husband would be nice but I know a lot of people who's mother-in-laws are worse then there mothers. If you feel your parents are really intruding I think you say something. Just remember you can't control the outcome after you draw that line and it might lead to controversy and drama. It is a risk. If it is worth this risk then go for it.
While I TOTALLY hear you about that idea that a family of a mother and child alone are not a "real" family, I think the issue of boundaries crops up a lot in two parent families also. I think a lot of grandparents want or expect more than their adult children want to share. It's also tricky if the grandparents are a regular part of the childcare arrangement (I don't remember if Jordyn is still with them for some daycare). They may have expectations as a result, even if the expectations aren't reasonable!
ReplyDelete(I'm not Christian, but I feel like I've read of conflict, for example, of grandparents wanting Christmas to stay at their house and new parents wanting their kids to wake up in their own house on Christmas morning.)
All this to say... I think it's totally reasonable for you to set the boundaries that work for you and your family. And maybe start referring to you and Jordyn's time together as "family time." Maybe you tell them, "We love spending Shabbat with the two of you, but I want to have our own family traditions as well. So from now on, Jordyn and I are going to alternate having Shabbat dinners with you and family dinners in our home." And to do similar things for vacations. And don't just talk about it, do it. Unapologetically!
Also, if your mom says she misses Jordyn, you don't have to take responsibility for her emotions. You can say, "I know, I miss her when I'm at work. Seems like she's changing every day!"
All this to say... family is definitely a mixed bag. I love my family and wish I could see them more... sometimes. I thought briefly about moving home in the past few months... but realized that I feel a lot more comfortable relying on my friends, who are tried and true villagers, then in my family, who is only obligated by blood.
I just read a book called Sibings without Rivalry, and they talk about the situation you have with your brother, and how unfair it is for parents to give one child a pass like that. I'm not mentioning it because your parents are likely to read it, but just because it might help knowing "experts" agree with you. :)
ReplyDeleteI like Abby's suggestions for how to handle your parents. I hope you find something that works that relieves you of some of the guilt and obligation. I have been getting grief from mine for almost 3 years for not coming down more frequently, and I think that's going to increase even more now that I don't have the excuse of needing to save all my vacation time for maternity leave. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it, but I already feel guilty!
I think my parents definitely think of us as more of a family now that there are 2 children...it doesn't really make much sense, but I think they do.
I was just thinking about the whole idea of needing three to feel like family as I try to decide if we'll remain a family of two. I realized even my insurance company doesn't really acknowledge us as "family." Were "employee plus one child." Two kids would make it "family." I think Abby had some good advice about referring to your time with Jordyn as "family time." I think you also need to set firm boundries now because its not going to get easier as time goes by.
ReplyDelete