There's no way I could possibly list all the words and phrases Jordyn says now. There are way too many. I think we've hit language explosion territory (actually, been there for a while)! But here are a few of my current favorites:
~ "pah/puh-moan" = penguin
~ "boo-moon" = balloon (sounds like she's saying "blue moon" sometimes)
~ "yah-too" = thank you
~ "seff" = self, as in, "I want to do it myself" or "I can do it myself". This is a very commonly-used word these days...
~ "bud" = bird
~ "sah-beys" = strawberries
~ "boobies" = blueberries (!)
~ "sue-me" = excuse me, which I taught her to say when she burps
Please still sounds like "piss", and you're welcome is something like "wah-come".
She'd switched from calling me "mama" to "mommy" for a while, but now it seems to have gone back to "mama".
Just this past week or so, she's started to say "yes" instead of "oh". I'm glad to see her development, but it's kind of sad, because I think "oh" as yes is incredibly cute. She still says "oh" at times, but it's slowly disappearing.
She's starting to put words together, too. One of her favorite combinations, unfortunately, is"kick mama", when she kicks me while lying on the changing table, sitting at the table, or elsewhere. So far, it always sounds like she puts a period after each word, instead of only at the end of the sentence, as in "Kick. Mama.". We were talking about sharing toys with other kids last week, and she said "No. Toys. Kids." (or "No. Kids. Toys.", I forget which). Ha! She'll also say "More. Sah-beys." or whatever she wants more of (more sounds more like "mah" with slightly more of the 'o' sound that you hear in "more").
She picks up words so quickly now. The other day, we took a walk down the street when I picked her up from school, instead of getting right in the car (which, of course, she nows thinks we're going to do every day). A few houses down, there's a little mini-fence with some small statues behind it. So I taught her the word statue ("sah-chue"), and she remembered it the next day or a couple of days later. As we were leaving when I picked her up from school, she said, "Walk. Sah-chue". And then, "Touch. Sah-chue". She wants to touch everything! She'd touched one of the statues that was very close to the fence and reachable, and remembered that, too.
She absolutely loves dogs, and anytime we see one - whether it's live or on tv (rarely, because we don't watch much) or in a car or in the window of a house - she says "pat", which I'm not sure if she's actually saying pat or pet. I always say pet, but maybe she learned pat at school. Sometimes when we go for walks, all she really wants is to find doggies out for walks with their people so she can pet them, and if we don't see any, she gets upset and doesn't want to go home until we do.
I got some good video of her "reading" the other day. She loves to read, and will often pick up a book, open it, look at it, and talk in these long streams of "words" as if she's actually reading. It's very cute, even if they're not real words, and obviously she's not actually reading yet!
I may come back and update this in the near future if I think of any more I want to include. This is all I can think of at the moment.
Such an explosion of language going on over there! I love reading about how she's growing and changing every day. Finn went through a stage of wanting to touch everything, too. I'd forgotten all about that!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on 200 pposts! Language explosion is fun...leads to my favourite thing right now: amazing conversations!!
ReplyDelete