Just kidding about the potty training.
Well, sort of. I think. Maybe. I'm not really sure.
Ok, I have absolutely no fucking idea what's going on.
But I have a ton of guilt about it. Whether or not I actually should is somewhat debatable, but it's there, and I can't make it go away.
Jordyn started off with a bang over the weekend, or maybe it was beginner's luck, but it's gone downhill ever since, and now she's back in diapers. I had high hopes about my new plan for today, with incentives for both school and home - a sticker chart, a box full of trinkets that I showed her and that she really wants... alas, no dice.
It seems she's motivated to wear underwear, but still has no interest in peeing in the potty. She doesn't seem to get that one goes hand-in-hand with the other. Although, she hasn't had a problem being back in diapers today, and even asked for one at school. When I picked her up, she was wearing underwear over a diaper, but tonight she said she wanted to take the underwear off and just wear a diaper. And then she told me she had to go pee pee, and she sat on the potty not once but three separate times during the bedtime routine. Hmmm. Stalling tactic? Has she figured out how to stall already??
Back to my guilt. The only thing I can think of that would have made her backslide, the only negative experience she's had with all of this, is my frustration. I know the one thing you really aren't supposed to do is show your frustration... and I did. A lot. Is that what has her holding her pee for over 8 hours at a time now, and seeming to be almost afraid, or at least anxious about, peeing on the potty? Is she, at not quite 3 years old, already scarred by me yelling, getting frustrated, angry even, and showing it??
I don't want to yell, or get angry, or frustrated... but I can't help it. I don't know what's going on with me lately. I feel like I've been so irritable, so quick to get frustrated... I don't think it's my baseline, but I've never potty trained a kid before. Although, it's been happening even before the potty training, so I don't even think it could just be that. I've been thinking that maybe I should increase my antidepressant. Is irritability a sign of depression?? I haven't been feeling depressed otherwise. I know I'm not taking great care of myself, and that's got to be playing a role, too. Not getting enough sleep, not eating healthy enough, not exercising. I know I need to change these things, but knowing it and doing it are two different things. And I'm not happy at work - some shit has been going on there lately - so that's probably also part of it. Wow, can one person have more reasons to need therapy?? And I have't even mentioned my siblings!
Let me be clear... I have not, and will not, hurt Jordyn physically!! I just don't know where the cutoff is between a normal, every-parent-does-this amount of yelling, and beyond that. I worry that I'm beyond it at times, but I don't know if it's normal because everyone else does whatever they do behind closed doors, so there's nothing to compare myself to.
So, is it me? Is Jordyn backsliding in potty training because of me?? If she is, why am I even bothering to go through the motions to prepare for child #2 (I'm currently taking prenatals and tracking ovulation with plans to do an IUI in September)? How can I bring another child into this family if I'm already screwing my first one up so badly?!
I guess I'm in a rut. I guess maybe potty training can do that to a person. I'm in potty training hell, and I want out. Today I ordered a book called "Oh Crap! Potty Training" or something like that. Maybe it'll help.
But for now... I seriously want to know why there are lactation consultants and sleep consultants, but not potty training consultants... or better yet, a way you could send your kid off to be potty trained and come back a new child in three weeks, similar to dog training camps. Ha! (just kidding, I wouldn't really want to be away from her for that long!)
Once again, seeing the same issues in my home. In the last few months I have yelled more than I care to (I was blaming pregnancy and having a newborn). In hindsight, I think it is a lot of testing on his part, and "threenager" behavior. My new motto for Eyes is that I will work on being more patient and he will work on being a better listener. We are referring to our family as a team and we talk about cooperation. It has helped for us to both work on this together. I quote one of his favorite cartoons (Peg + Cat) and we talk about "really big problem" and count back from 5 when we are frustrated. This is giving us both time to cool off before getting caught up in the moment.
ReplyDeleteWith the glimpe you're giving here - I'd back off, WAY off. (Unless her childcare depends on her being potty trained or other dire situation). I also have yelling tendencies but have given myself a rule that there will be NO yelling. I've slipped up here and there, and yelling has morphed into lecturing sometimes, which also isn't ok. Anyways - I think our little ones really need as much control in their lives as they can get. And it sounds like both you and Jordyn REALLY want control (just like me and Fiona!). Give it to her. Let her decide on diaper vs underwear vs bare butt (which worked great for pottytraining my girls). Another trick is to just plan a day at home and load her up with liquids so she has to go frequently and can get some practice. Don't read too much into this hurdle-- you'll get through it!
ReplyDeleteI can really relate to feeling like you are yelling too much and this isn't the parent you want to be and why are you bringing (hopefully) another child into the world. I think some of it is threenagers and some of it is adult stressors and some of it... who knows? Bad chemistry. I'm frustrated a lot recently with Calliope. But we just left leg one of our summer travels and suddenly, I like my older child a lot more. So I think stress on the adult plays a huge role, even when it shouldn't.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Claire to back way off on the power struggle. What if you just let her have some accidents? Just keep her off the carpet and let her feel what it feels like to pee in her clothes. I also really agree to not put underwear on her. Bare tush was key to success for us. Even underwear can feel like a diaper when you aren't accustomed to paying attention to that area. I did lots of summer dresses and outside time and no underwear for the first month.
I found, and Calliope wasn't quite two when I trained her so it may be very different, that offering rewards was too much pressure. It made her stressed out. So all I did was lots of cheering.
Sorry you are struggling so much!
Thanks, Abby. I'd happily let her have a few accidents, but she has a thing about she doesn't want to make a mess on the floor. So weird. Also weird is that it really doesn't feel like so much of a power struggle, it's more that she just can't release her pee. She's not having accidents, she's just holding her pee for 8+ hours at a time. Read my next post...
DeleteI'm so with you on the yelling. I have had to really make efforts to stop. Like Claire, I had to make the no yelling rule. Not perfect but always always conscious of my tone & level.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that backing off may be needed for the potty training. I read an article recently, I wish I could remember where I read it, Baby Centre maybe...anyway it said that this new trend of potty training so early is actually bad for children's bladders & kidneys. I thought of it when you mention J holding her poo & pee for so long. I would totally back off & maybe revisit in a month or so. Take the pressure off of both of you. Hang in there, she will get it, I promise!
ReplyDelete色情視訊
情色視訊
真人視訊美女直播
台灣色情視訊聊天
免費視訊秀
後宮視訊
mfc視訊
showlive視訊聊天網
韓國視訊
日本視訊