Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Pregnancy Update

So far, so good.

I'll be six weeks on Friday, and so far not a sign of spotting or cramping or anything. I had two betas last week which were 820 at 18dpo and 2059 at 20dpo. I managed to talk the midwives into an early ultrasound to confirm a heartbeat, which will be on March 1st. I have my first prenatal appointment scheduled for March 11th.

I've been hungry, which is often that intense "feed me now" hunger that I remember from last time. I think I must be bloated, because I feel like I get uncomfortably full more quickly and easily than usual. I've also been very thirsty, and I don't remember being thirsty like this last time. I've been drinking a lot of water, but I also feel like I have to pee every 5.2 seconds! And it's often that gotta-pee-RIGHT-NOW feeling, not like I could hold it for a while. I'm sure I'm jinxing it by saying this, but I haven't had any nausea at all so far. Of course, last time it started right at about six weeks (along with total food aversion) and I'm not quite there yet. So I keep trying to eat as much protein and vegetables and just healthy stuff in general while I can, in case I can't stomach it much longer for a while. But then I'm also convinced this is a boy, in which case I'm hoping the nausea won't be as bad as last time.

My breasts are sore, more so in the evening, which is the same as last time. And again I find myself happy that they're sore because it makes me feel like I'm still pregnant, when otherwise I really don't feel very pregnant yet, and that kind of freaks me out a little. I think I may have already had some round ligament pain, which seems WAY too early, but I don't know what else it could've been. It wasn't cramping, it felt more like soreness/stretching, and it was off to the sides. I'd been tired, but not ridiculously so - until today. This afternoon I couldn't keep my eyes open and felt that intense fatigue like I just couldn't even lift up my arms. Jordyn watched a few shows and I dozed on the couch.

I told my parents the news last Friday night. My original plan, that I clearly hadn't thought all the way through, was to have Jordyn wear a t-shirt that says "I'm going to be a big sister" to their house and let them notice it. But I realized that I don't want Jordyn to know yet - not until at least after seeing the heartbeat, but more likely after I get the results of the chromosomal/NIPT testing back - so that didn't make sense. Instead, after Jordyn went to bed (she spent the night at their house that night), I told my mom I'd gotten Jordyn a new shirt and wanted to see what she thought. This kind of thing isn't of the realm of normal for us. I made sure my dad was sitting there, too. So I pulled the shirt out of a bag and held it up so they could both see it. I don't think I'll ever forget the look on my mom's face! She was so surprised (even though she knew I'd been trying), and she looked from the shirt up at me, and said something like, "are... you are?!". Haha! And my dad was smiling. My mom said, "yay, there's going to be another baby!". They were both very, very happy for me!

Shortly after that, Jordyn called out (she hadn't fallen asleep yet), so my dad went to help her, and I told my mom some more details, like that the IUI had been on my birthday, that I really hadn't thought it had worked, and that I'd been shocked when I'd gotten the positive, etc. When my dad came back, I asked if they felt like I needed to name this baby after anyone, or if I could just choose any name I like. They pretty much said any name, but ideally I'd kind of like to come up with a name that starts with S for at least the middle name, after my mom's father. Jordyn's Hebrew name is with the Hebrew letter equivalent of an S, but I kind of feel like I want to get it into his/her "real" name this time around. Problem is, at least for boys, I can only find one S name that I really like (Simon), and I can't use it because it's our pseudo-cousin's name. I may settle on a different one for the middle name. Anyway, my parents and I proceeded to spend the next hour or more sitting there on our phones, looking at baby name websites! I know, very early, and totally ridiculous, but that's what we did.

And now, back to the current "two-week wait" until the ultrasound...


4 comments:

  1. So glad things are going well! I felt a lot of pinching/stretching/pulling in my abdomen in those early weeks, so I think it's normal. So glad you can hear the heartbeat soon. I was just able to hear T's at nine weeks using my at-home Doppler. Glad the parents are happy for you - that must have been a great moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Things sound like they're going really well. What a fun experience to tell your mom and dad – thanks for sharing about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Glad things are going well! I've been impatiently waiting for an update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray!!!! This is fabulous news! So excited for you and Jordyn!

    ReplyDelete