Friday, February 3, 2012

NT Scan Results and Second Prenatal Appointment

I finally got the formal results of the nuchal translucency / early risk assessment test. Someone from the Center for Women called on Tuesday (a week-and-a-half after the test) and said the results were negative (normal), and my risk of Down Syndrome went down to 1/1,100. She said anything over 220 for the bottom number is considered normal. She also said that my practitioner would go over the results with me in more detail at my next appointment.

Which was the next day. Awesome. So at the appointment, the midwife (Amanda) repeated the 1/1,100 risk of Down's, and added that my risk of Trisomy 18 is 1/10,000. Negative screen, which = good news!

This is good, because just because of my age, before the test my chances for Down Syndrome were 1/110, and Trisomy 18 I think was something like 1/360, but I'm not sure I'm remembering that one right. I asked if I could have a copy of the results, and she said yes and hit print, but I don't know where it printed (maybe up at the front desk), and I forgot to ask for it before I left. So I still need to get that.

I also think they moved my due date back to August 2nd (from the 6th) because at the scan the baby measured exactly on target if I calculate from first day of last period (which means August 2nd) versus what I've been doing - calculating from conception (which means August 6th). But I didn't get to confirm that, because while I saw that they had me at 13w6d on the computer screen (which means August 2nd), we didn't get to actually talk about it. I think she was going to, but we kind of ran out of time. Probably because I kind of lost it when she asked how I've been feeling. I just know that last time she'd agreed to calculate from conception and changed it in the computer, and now it's been switched back, and I'm assuming that's because of how the baby measured at the ultrasound. But whatever, either way is fine - I'd actually prefer August 2nd, because that means this pregnancy will be over sooner!

Yes, that's right. I HATE being pregnant. Now, that might change if at some point I start to actually feel better - and to feel like myself again - but as of now, it's miserable and I hate it. Bleh.

Yes, I know there's a good outcome at the end, and yes, I know it will all be worth it. But that doesn't help me feel better RIGHT NOW, and that's what I need - to feel better. Hopefully I'm coming to the end of this first trimester hell.

So, yeah, I got really emotional (yet again) at the appointment, and told Amanda that I just really need to start feeling better. And that I think the hormones combined with the cumulative effects of feeling so bad for so long are just starting to really take a toll. She asked me if I see a therapist, which I do. She suggested I take unisom, which she also suggested last time. I've taken it twice, and it helps me sleep better, and does seem to somehow help with nausea the next day, but it also makes me feel sleepy and groggy the whole next day, too. So I definitely can't take it when I have to work the next day. I wasn't too happy when Amanda said we should finish up because someone was waiting for her. I thought part of the good thing about midwives was the luxury of longer appointments. But whatever. She did check the heartbeat (no big deal, since I do that at home all the time!) and said all looks good.

Last night I took a small half of unisom, hoping it would help me sleep but not leave me groggy all day today. It did help me sleep, but I still woke up after only 6 hours of sleep to the sound of my dog vomiting. So I had to get up and clean up the vomit (Oh, and she'd peed on the carpet right outside the door to my room last night before I got home, so I'd cleaned that up right before going to sleep!), and then had trouble falling back to sleep. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a good night's sleep!!! (I know, I know, I'll be saying that even more once the baby arrives!). The dog has gotten herself into so much trouble recently that I brought the crate up from the basement last night, and she's now going to be crated when I'm not home, at least for a while.

Oh, and I finally "went public" yesterday, but that's a whole other post, so check back soon for that update!


3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your results were a-ok! That was a big hurdle for me. And you know I hear you about how much the 1st trimester totally blows. I think women who breezed through that time just don't get how miserable it can be for some others. I had a great 2nd tri but now I'm 8 months and starting to feel sort of lousy again (not nauseated, just can't sleep, uncomfortable, pains, etc) and I'm starting to get back into that mode of "yeah, I kind of hate this." I think it's ok to say that...right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you feel so crappy It's not fair to wait so long to be pregnant, and then feel so miserable once you are. The good news is that even though pregnancy seems like it's lasts forever, it really doesn't!

    And hooray for good test results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you. I was miserable while pregnant too - sick, in pain, and like you, went 9 months without decent sleep. I am SO glad that I never have to be pregnant again! I really hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete