I have to go back to work a week from Tuesday.
And I don't want to. Not one little bit. There's not one fiber of my being that wants to return to work.
A measly twelve-week mater.nity leave is just not even remotely long enough.
Here's the thing... I feel like I've gotten a little taste of stay-at-home-motherhood...
...and I LIKE IT. A lot. As it turns out, I really wanna be a stay at home mom (SAHM)! And I can't, not as an SMC. And that SUCKS. (Actually, I think I've pretty much always wanted to be a SAHM, but the thought moved to the back burner when I decided to be an SMC and knew I couldn't - but it's back).
I've been so emotional about this whole returning-to-work thing, and I really don't want to be, but I can't help it. It just feels like the "end of an era" or something. Like this really amazing, good thing is coming to an end.
Which I know is totally ridiculous, because really it's just begun... but I can't help how I feel.
I briefly considered applying for a 20-hour-a-week job at the same place where I work now. I even think I would actually really enjoy the job, not just the reduction in hours. But I couldn't afford it, considering the massive pay cut it would mean, plus a ridiculously huge jump in the cost of insurance as a part time employee from full-time (we're talking $190 more per paycheck, which is every two weeks).
I did cut back to 30 hours a week from 36, so that means I'll work two 12-hour days and one 6-hour day each week, instead of three 12-hour days. Which feels slightly better, but not much.
I really don't even have that bad of a situation. I only work three days a week, and my parents will be doing all the child care, at least in the beginning, while Jordyn's really young.
The worst part (other than having to work at all!) will be the logistics. My parents will take care of Jordyn at their house, not mine. And on the days I work, I'll almost always get off of work at midnight. So, instead of picking her up at 1 or almost 1 in the morning and taking her home, which would be nuts, we'll both sleep over at my parents' house. We have a room there (we share one), and they're fairly well-outfitted, with a pack n. play (I'm trying to find them a cheap yet safe crib), changing table, swing, bouncy seat, baby bathtub, etc. But I'm going to have to somehow make sure there's enough diapers, wipes, formula, clean bottles, clothes, bibs, burp cloths, sheets, etc. at both places, on a regular basis. Oy. My mom will help with the laundry at their house, but I still get the feeling I'm going to have to keep track of what's where, and that I'll be lugging things back and forth all the time (especially stuff like diapers and wipes, since I'm ordering that stuff on ama.zon prime/mom).
I like my job; I just don't want to leave my baby. Even though I'm leaving her with my parents, I still don't want to leave her. I want to be a SAHM and I'm so frustrated that I can't! Not that I didn't already know that, but it's hitting me pretty hard right now. I keep tearing up as I look at Jordyn and think about having to leave her when I go back to work. I mean, I miss her when she's sleeping... I sure as hell don't want to have to be away from her for 14 hours at a time (and sometimes two days in a row)! And not only that, but I won't even be able to give her a hug and spend time with her when I get home from work, since she'll be sleeping. I'll have to wait til the morning when she wakes up, and then I'll be exhausted from having worked so late. Yuck. It just doesn't sound good on any level.
I really need to win the lottery so I can just quit my job...
12 weeks of maternity leave is a joke - the US is awful about supporting new parents and babies. I felt the same way you do. It was SO hard leaving Fiona when I had to go back to work. I still feel that way to some extent - that I want to be home with my kids while they are young. But like you, it is simply not an option. It's gonna be really hard, but it will get easier, it will!! And yes, you have an AMAZING setup with your parents watching Jordyn, so focus on the good to cheer yourself up. Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteI always dreamed of being a SAHM too. It was very hard to go back to work, and I still have days where I cry after leaving him. I always think it is ironic that teachers in my district only get 6 weeks off, when as educators we know the importance of spending quality time with our children. One thing that has helped me cope, is a ton of pictures of Isaac at my desk. Also, I wear his lotion so I can smell him all day long too. Are you able to stop at your parents during a lunch/dinner break?
ReplyDeleteI too had always wanted to be a SAHM, and knew I'd have to forgo that dream in order to be a Mommy at all. That had to become the dream. And 12 weeks SUCKS!
ReplyDeleteIt does help knowing that family will be watching my little one too, but at the same time it's not me :( I think it's a little ironic that my sister that has the girls NEVER wanted to be a SAHM, now after having the three really would like nothing more. She thinks it's funny too.
We should all go in on the lottery and then we could SAHM ;)
Sorry you have to back soon, wish I had advice :(
I too had always wanted to be a SAHM, and knew I'd have to forgo that dream in order to be a Mommy at all. That had to become the dream. And 12 weeks SUCKS!
ReplyDeleteIt does help knowing that family will be watching my little one too, but at the same time it's not me :( I think it's a little ironic that my sister that has the girls NEVER wanted to be a SAHM, now after having the three really would like nothing more. She thinks it's funny too.
We should all go in on the lottery and then we could SAHM ;)
Sorry you have to back soon, wish I had advice :(
I'm sorry. It's very hard.
ReplyDeleteThe only thing I can say is that for me, at least, the anticipation was SO. MUCH. WORSE. than the reality. Truly.
I love being home with my girl and I hate leaving her after the weekend, but it's all those days apart that makes our weekends together unbelievably wonderful and precious. This summer, together for two months, wasn't as fun (partly I was really stressed with real estate craziness, but still).
Try not to think ahead and just take each day as it comes.
Also, can you have Amazon deliver stuff to your parents'?
Why don't you work from home? There are a lot of legit jobs online that you can do from home. I work as a freelance writer and write blog posts for company sponsored blogs. Other online jobs include telemarketing, online tutoring and teaching, general transcription, crowdsourcing (doing random tasks online - for example, online research for universities, taking surveys for businesses, etc) and so much more. There are some jobs that will even provide benefits like vacation and sick pay. I heard Apple is hiring for at home customer service technicians - full time salary of $16/hour and benefits plus they send you a free iMac. I found my online job using these two forums (both are free to join):
ReplyDeleteWork At Home Moms
If you are really serious about wanting to be a stay at home mom, then those forums are really going to help you. Good luck!
It only posted one forum (the least helpful one). Here is the second forum:
ReplyDeleteWork Place Like Home