I had to work today. Big bummer, as my extended family was still in town and all hanging out together, and I had to miss it. I was bad and left work early since I was "sick", but I still didn't get home until a few minutes after 9pm.
To discover that:
* The baby monitor wasn't on. Jordyn was sleeping in a room at one end of the house, with the door closed, and everyone was at the far end of the house. If she had woken up and cried, no one would have heard her. That makes me incredibly sad.
* Most people were planning to watch a movie in the basement after finishing cleaning up from dinner and preparing for tomorrow's brunch (after Jordyn's baby naming (a Jewish tradition), which is tomorrow morning). This would put them even further away from Jordyn. Plus, I was finally home to hang out, and they wanted to watch a movie. Thanks. What about a game night or something else more interactive? Some of these people I see only once a year.
* Said movie wasn't started until after 10pm. I reminded everyone that we need to be up and out of the house very early tomorrow, in order to be on time for services at the synagogue, but no one seemed to care. I would bet good money that very few people, if anyone (other than Jordyn and I) will be ready to leave on time (which would likely be the case even if they weren't watching a movie that was going to end after midnight!).
* Jordyn's white noise app wasn't turned on. She's fallen asleep and slept with this white noise almost every single night since she was literally still in the hospital when she was born.
* Apparently Jordyn had had a very cranky evening, and my sister had helped my mom put her to bed. My sister doesn't know the first thing about Jordyn's bedtime routine.
* No one seemed to be able to give me a clear answer about whether or not Jordyn had pooped today. Everyone I asked told me to ask someone else, but that person didn't know, either.
I just feel like Jordyn wasn't the priority. And she damn well should be! She's my child, my tiny, helpless baby. She should have come first - not dinner, not the other family members who were here, not anything or anyone else. The monitor should have been on. The white noise should have been on. Jordyn's routines should not be ignored because there are houseguests! But I guess I'm the only one who feels that way. My mom was full of excuses and seemed annoyed that I was annoyed/mad. She was stressed because there were 12 people here for dinner, and everyone was asking her questions like where stuff was in the kitchen (other people were cooking who don't live here). Jordyn was very cranky, and my sister had to help get her to sleep. It was a hectic night... yada yada yada.
Hmmm, maybe Jordyn was cranky and not going to sleep because no one remembered/knew to put her white noise on! Maybe she was cranky because she was overstimulated. Or overtired. I just don't think anyone else even thinks about these things. I guess it's true - if you want something done right, do it yourself. But I *can't* always do it myself! I have to go to work; I have no choice. Otherwise, you better believe I would be with Jordyn pretty much all the time, every day, every night. Maybe not forever, but at least for now, while she's so young.
Am I wrong?? Should I not be frustrated and upset by these things? I mean, she was fine - safe - but I still feel like she should have been more of a priority than she was. I got home, and almost instantly felt like I should've just stayed at work, except then these things wouldn't have been rectified until even later. I came home early party to see everyone, and partly because I need to go to sleep earlier than 1am (which is when I would have gone to sleep if I'd stayed at work til midnight), since I have to get up and be ready to go so early tomorrow. And of course now I'm blogging at 11:20pm, because I needed to get this out! Maybe now I can sleep...
11/24 Edited to add: This morning I discovered that she wasn't wearing socks, and she was in a size 1 diaper (should've been a size 2 for overnight)! UGH!
I don't think you're wrong at all. Your mom agreed to watch your baby, and you have every right to expect that she's taken care of properly. I would have been just as upset as you.
ReplyDeleteOf course in the long run, Jordyn won't really suffer any ill effects from last night, but that sure doesn't make you feel any better, I know.
Yeah, I would have freaked out. Anything could have happened with that monitor off. Nothing did, but, you know, that's kind of a big deal.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure I'd feel the same way :(
ReplyDeleteHoping the naming ceremony went well, and everyone was there on time!!!
成人視訊聊天室
ReplyDeleteut視訊 網際空間聊天
live173影音視訊live秀
台灣live173成人直播平台
台灣後宮金瓶梅直播平台
live173影音live秀官網
台灣live173影音官方網站
live173影音live秀ut
台灣ut視頻直播聊天室
台灣美女UU視頻直播間