Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Words

No, Jordyn's not talking yet! :)

I recently realized that there are lots of decisions to make regarding words. Like, what words or phrases do I want to use for certain things where there's a choice? Because whatever I choose, I want to start using the words I want Jordyn to eventually use now, so that I get in the habit, and she starts to hear them.

For instance:
Butt vs. Bottom vs. Tush/Tushy vs. Behind vs. Rear End vs. etc.
I think I've decided on tush/tushy, mostly because it's cute! And I think it's the word my parents used with me.

Fart vs. Toot
I don't like either of these. Are there other choices?? I guess I could use "gas", but then you have to say "pass gas". It kind of sounds too formal, somehow. Plus, it could get confusing with gas for the car.

I'm pretty sure I want to use the real words for vagina and penis. I don't like the other choices here, and I think it's good for kids to know the real names of body parts. The only thing I don't like is that it's not exactly accurate to say vagina, when that's really the term for the internal part, and the external part is labia. But I guess that's getting too technical!

I'm already using pee/peepee, and poop/poopy, so that's pretty much decided, too.

I just noticed something. All of these word choices have to do with body parts and bodily functions. Interesting. I wonder why there are so many slang terms for these things? I guess people aren't always comfortable saying the actual words and need other ways to talk about them.

Oh, and what about belly vs. tummy vs. stomach? I say tummy in terms of "tummy time", but I also have this thing where I kiss her belly and then look at her and say, "I kissed your belly, and I'm gonna do it again!" and then I kiss her belly again. Sometimes I do it several times in a row, and she often smiles. I guess I could change it to "tummy" for consistency, but I kinda like "belly". Hmmm. Will she get confused if I keep using both? And what about "stomach" as an option? That's the real name for that body part, and I did just say I think kids should know the real terms... Hmmm.

Yeah, ok, maybe I'm just overthinking this whole thing. But it seems like it would make sense to know what words I want Jordyn to use (at least in the beginning, before she goes to school and gets influenced by other kids), and to start using them now.

I also need to watch the words I use... Specifically, I need to start working on not yelling/cursing at other drivers. I know this isn't affecting Jordyn now, but eventually she's going to start to imitate, and I really don't want one of her first words to be something she's heard me yell in the car! Ok, so maybe I have a slight road rage problem...

And then there are the made-up words. Like, I call breast milk "mamamilk". I don't know where it came from, only that I said it one day very early on, and it stuck. Formula is just "milk", even though it's really not. My mom calls it "bottle", as in "Do you want more bottle?", which for some reason drives me crazy. I tried to get her to also say "milk", but it's not really working.

I had to set my mother (and a few other people) straight on the donor vs. father issue. I feel strongly that her donor not be referred to as her father, or even as her biological father. He's NOT her father - he's her donor. And that's what I want him to be called - "donor". And I think donor siblings will be called just that - donor siblings - unless any of their parents feel strongly about another term, and then I'll consider it. But I think being as straightforward as possible makes the most sense on this issue, because it's a complicated enough subject as it is!

I can't wait to see what toddler-isms Jordyn comes up with. When I was little, I called the moon "mooie", and ice cream was "icy-muh". My sister said "elegunk" for elephant. I also wonder what Jordyn's very first word will be. So far, her only consonant seems to be a "g" sound - "geh" and "gah". But she's certainly "talking" more and more, experimenting with lots of different sounds. She tells me stories, and she helps me read books, too. :)

7 comments:

  1. Whew! So many things go into parenting, well in short-everything. The nice thing is whatever you choose is what will be used. There's no conferring with the other paternal unit to decide which words to use for what.
    I do have to say it's awfully cute when my two yo niece asks if you "tootied" when it was clearly her ;) By the time she goes to school she may know/understand all the words you mentioned, but know which ones mommy prefers to hear at home. (I'm still that way ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this issue with what I wanted to be called. Would I be a "Mommy" or "Mom?" Somehow, unexpectedly I have become a "Mama!" Other words we went with are; fart= a stinky, a pacifier=paci (though I hate this word it somehow stuck). I do use the word penis with him, but we haven't really approached female parts. When I was a kid I called a skunk=stunk, and blanket=gankie! It is funny how we make up words like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like tummy a lot, but Calliope has a diaper changing song that ends with "and you can kiss my belly" that she LOVES so she knows the word belly, and I feel like using "tummy" is confusing.

    now she pats her belly for me to kiss it and i squeal "belly belly belly!!!" and kiss her and she loves it.

    as for stomach, apparently it's a Victorian euphemism because those zany Victorians felt squeamish with the word "stomach." because if you think about it, stomach is only one organ in the abdomen. and abdomen is too hard for a toddler to say!

    i TOTALLY agree about donor versus father.

    Mommy vs Mama is a tough one. i identify more with Mommy, but right now Calliope calls me Mama... but really she only says this when she wants to nurse. so maybe she thinks it means nursing! although I call nursing "neh neh" (got this from a friend... because I didn't like it when another friend's older toddler would loudly roar "nurse!" in public) and she knows what i mean. I say "do you want neh neh?" and she replies "mama mama!" mournfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops, i meant to say that Victorians were squeamish about the word "belly," not stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've thought about a lot of these words, too. Finn already says toot! LOL I say belly and tummy - I'm not sure if he's not confused, or if he thinks belly button when I say belly. :)

    So far there's only two words he's made up and I'm not sure if they're going to stick - he calls Nanny M "NahNah" and his pacifier is "ba".

    Words - they're so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fiona is now using multiple words for the same thing (we started with "gassy" for fart and now she says toot and fart too). "Mama" first but now Mom, Mommy, Mama,and sometimes even Claire, ha! I used to say "bum" for all her privates but a couple months ago decided she needed to know the technical terms and taught her penis/vagina. And somehow breast milk became "booby milk" in our house - which is said very matter of fact, without realizing how silly it is! I also agree with using "donor."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you on the yelling at other drivers. I do that too but stopped short while with Elena in the car after the time she thought I was yelling at her!! Broke my heart. Now I let out these dramatic long drawn out sighs of frustration & then Elena will mimic me & sigh too...it's hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete