Sunday, November 11, 2012

Why I Hate Grocery Shopping

It started out ok... Jordyn was sleeping, but hadn't been sleeping very long, so I was pretty sure I had time to shop, get home, and maybe even unpack the groceries before she woke up.

Yeah, right. If only it were that simple!

Since she was sleeping, I put her carseat carrier in the shopping cart, which left little room for groceries. I balanced them as best I could on the side of the carseat and in the front basket part. Jordyn woke up as I was paying, and the cashier couldn't figure out how to use the coupon I had for Enf.amil, so it took forever. I started to get nervous that Jordyn would start to scream (because she hates being in her carseat) before I could get her out of the store. She did start to fuss, but she didn't scream, so that part was ok. But there wasn't really room to put the bags of groceries, so some of them ended up underneath the cart on the bottom rack.

As I was crossing the road in front of the store to get to my car, one of the bags fell off the bottom rack of the cart and some of the items fell out. I had to stop and pick up the bag and the groceries, and a car had to stop and wait for me. The driver looked annoyed. Oh well, too bad for her!

I loaded the groceries into the car, got Jordyn in, and drove home. Instead of making two trips up the stairs, I decided (stupidly) to try to carry all the groceries, Jordyn in her seat, the diaper bag, and my purse upstairs all at the same time. One of the bags of groceries ripped and some of the items fell out. I continued up the first part of the stairs and put everything down, then went back and picked up what had fallen. My phone started to ring as I was doing this. I knew it may have been my sister, who was supposed to come over today, so I wanted to try to answer it. As I did so, the groceries I'd just picked up fell again, and the tub of cottage cheese split open and some got on the floor of the entryway to the house.

I quickly got off the phone, carried the groceries upstairs, quickly put them down, and went back to get Jordyn (she was in the house, just down in the entryway and not up the flight of stairs to my condo). I forgot to bring a paper towel down to wipe up the cottage cheese, so then I had to make a third trip to go back down and wipe up the cottage cheese.

And I still hadn't unpacked the groceries. I did that as quickly as I could, since I knew Jordyn wasn't going to last in her carseat. She wasn't very happy by the time I got her out, but I guess she wasn't as upset as she could have been.

What a shit show. I really hate grocery shopping. I think Pea.pod (grocery delivery) may be in my future!


3 comments:

  1. Ugh, that totally sucks! I tend to drop sparkling water on the garage floor, then I forget and open it later and it sprays everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like something I'd try to do. Carry everyone and everything in on one shot, and then craziness ensue. I used to load my arms and hands up with whatever I bought and truck it up three flights to my apartment. Even if my fingers sometimes felt like they were going to tear off, just to be done.
    Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that sounds awful! A No Good, Very Bad, Terrible Shopping Trip. Yuck.

    One thought: can you put the baby (in the bucket seat) over the area of the shopping car where a toddler would sit? There's a little seat there. Obviously you don't use the seat. But your car seat should fit there and make it easier to load groceries into the cart.

    But yet, Peapod sounds like a great option!

    ReplyDelete