Saturday, July 13, 2013

All Kinds of Things (including poop)

An update on the babysitter situation... After making sure that my parents could do all my childcare until I find and get a new babysitter up and running, I sent an email to A ( the babysitter I didn't like), saying thank you for taking care of Jordyn, but that it didn't feel like it was a good match to me. She wrote back and said she respected my feelings, but wished I'd given her more notice as she'd thought everything had been going well and had stopped interviewing elsewhere. She also said Jordyn is adorable and that she admired me for making the choice to have her. So I felt kinda bad, but that's fading. I now have two good candidates (I think), and we'll see what happens from here. Very happy that stress is over!
_____________________________________________________

Yesterday I went to "Ladies and Babies" without my baby. I really wanted to go, as I've really enjoyed it throughout the year, and we graduate soon when Jordyn turns one, so we can only go a few more times. I've looked forward to Fridays all year, not because it's the end of the work week (since it's not for me), but because of "Ladies and Babies" and going to lunch afterwards. It's been a nice social outlet for both Jordyn and I, as it's basically a big playdate for her, and I've gotten friendly with some of the other moms. But yesterday, we were at my parents' house since I'd worked the day/night before, and Jordyn had woken up at 6am (early for her lately). So, she was ready for a nap, and went to sleep around 9:25. Ladies and Babies starts at 10, so I jumped in the shower and got ready to go, all the while wondering what I was going to do if Jordyn was still asleep when I was ready. She was, of course, and I didn't want to wake her up, but I also didn't want to miss group. So I left her with my parents, since they didn't mind, and I figured she'd sleep most of the time I was gone, anyway. Of course, she woke up about 10 minutes after I left! It was kind of fun and funny being the only mom out of about 25-26 who was there without a baby. But I was still able to join in the conversation, and I helped out with a couple of babies so their moms could go the bathroom or whatever.

After "Ladies and Babies", Jordyn and I (I picked her up at my parents' right after group)) joined about 9-10 other moms and their babies at Walden Pond for a picnic, swimming, and fun in the sun. I'd never been there before, and it was really fun. There's a beach area that's nice, but I hear it gets super crowded on weekends. I'm glad we were there during the week! The water was actually pretty warm from how hot it's been lately. I managed to forget my bathing suit, which was the only real bummer (oh, aside from the major blowout Jordyn had in the approximately 8 minutes it took to get from my parents' house to the pond - suffice it to say I had to take off and wash the entire carseat cover when we got home). I wasn't going to go swimming, but then all the other moms were taking their babies in, and I decided it wasn't fair to Jordyn to not get to go swimming just because I was an idiot and forgot my suit. So, into the water in my clothes I went! I probably looked a total mess, but it was fun! I'll try to come back and post a pic once someone posts them on the facebook page - I didn't take a single picture the whole time, which is very unlike me.
______________________________________________________

Fair warning... This section is about Jordyn's poop! Read at your own discretion. :)

You know that blowout I mentioned above? Jordyn has some sort of gastroenteritis type thing going on. I actually took her to the doctor on Wednesday, since it had been going on since Saturday. We saw an associate of Jordyn's pediatrician, since she was on vacation. She said as long as there's no blood in the diarrhea (there's been no vomiting, just lots and lots (and lots) of loose poop), then it's just a virus and nothing to worry about. She said it can go on for two weeks, which means we're halfway there. I'm giving Jordyn probiotics 3 times a day, and giving her lots to drink to make sure she stays hydrated. She's mostly been acting like her usual self, which is good. She's had periods of crankiness, but I can't tell if she's having any belly pain or not. She most definitely has an "ouchy tushy", though. She has a serious diaper rash from all the poop! It's red, and raw, and obviously painful. I've been using paper towels dipped in cool water instead of wipes, and loading on the Butt Paste, but it's still really bothering her. Anyone know a miracle cure for diaper rash??

The other day Jordyn was eating breakfast, and I was sitting across from her, and randomly touched her foot. It was wet. I was confused because nothing should have been able to drip onto her foot, and looked down to see what it was.. and it was poop. And there was a puddle of it pooled on the chair in front of her high chair (we have one of those Fisher Price Space Saver high chairs that straps on to a regular chair), and a few drips on the floor. OMG. I kind of laughed, I think, because I was so stuck. I didn't know where to begin! It was definitely one of those moments where I wished I had a helper of some sort!

And then there was the blowout yesterday in the car on the way to the pond. I had to change her on the ground (well, on a changing pad) in the middle of the parking lot. Ugh.

And then this morning, she woke up at 5am, and when I went in to get her, she, her pajamas, and her sheet were covered in poop. What a wake up call! She'd slept sans sleep sack last night, because it was still in the dryer from a nighttime blowout the night before, so there was nothing to contain the poop once it was out of her diaper. I had to turn on the light and do a whole clean-up job. I didn't even deal with her bed yet - just her. I left the bed til later. I got her all cleaned up and changed, and then took her in to bed with me to try to get some more sleep. She finally fell back to sleep a little after 6, and then so did I. She slept until 8:10, when the guys who were here to replace the roof on the sunroom (just a little section) woke her up. They were right outside my bedroom window, and had already woken me up 20 minutes earlier.

I'm very, very ready for Poopapalooza to be over!! I could do without the epic blowouts, and without changing multiple other poopy dipes what feels like every five minutes!
______________________________________________________

Jordyn is going to walk any day now! At least, it feels like it could be soon. I realize it could stay that way for a while. She's walking pretty well when holding your hands, and is starting to be more steady walking while holding only one hand. A couple of times, she's let go and stood by herself for about one second before sitting down. She's cruising with ease. And you should see her climb stairs! She started when we were in Vermont, and has gotten steadily better at it.

Today I worked "the princess shift" - 11:30am-6pm. My parents, brother, and dog came over with Jordyn tonight, and I took a little extra time (with their ok) to stop at the grocery store on the way home. Oh, how much faster it is without a baby in tow! We ordered Chinese food, and my dad had Jordyn's crib mattress lowered by the time I got home (we were going to do it together when I got home, but apparently it was quick and easy).

Walking, climbing, the "big girl" carseat a couple of weeks ago, and lowering the crib mattress... My baby is growing up right before my very eyes! It's so much fun watching her grow and develop! It's weird, though - at times I really miss having a tiny baby, and at other times, I kind of can't wait for her to get even bigger/older and to be able to do even more stuff, and to be able to go on even more different kinds of adventures with her. I don't want to not be able to wait for her to grow up - it's going to happen so quickly, that I want to be "in the moment" at all times and to really make the most of it all!

4 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, you have a first birthday coming up before you know it! Isn't it bizarre to think that not so long ago you had a teeny-tiny baby, and now she is working towards being more independent everyday?

    As for the diaper rash, we have dealt with that a bunch due to many blowouts caused by antibiotics. I used to use Buttpaste for myself (not on my butt! I get heat rashes every summer around my bra.) and it works well, but it didn't do it for Isaac. Desitin actually made his rash worse. However, I now strongly recommend Aquaphor. Aquaphor is a bit pricier, but it turns out to work so well that you don't use as much as other brands, in the long run I find it actually saves money. One time, Isaac had an especially resistant rash. The doctor told me to try some Lotramin (sp?, antifungal cream because it could be a mild yeast infection) and alternate it with the Aquaphor, that took care of it very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the Aquaphor recommendation - I usually mix it with with the ultrastrength Destin. I've also found that A&D ointment works well, too, but I hate the smell. Finn had one of those diarrhea viruses that lasts forever last winter, so gross!

    Glad you came to a decision on your sitter - hope you find someone you and J both like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I know the poop woes! It's amazing the disgusting things you can stomach when it's your own kid, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Calliope's tushy got really very red and raw, antifungal cream helped enormously. I got rx ketoconazole, which made a noticeable improvement in less than 24 hours (only two applications -- you don't use it every time). You might be able to get some OTC antifungals, also.

    The other thing that really helped was REALLY thick diaper cream. I like the purple Desitin, which is 40% zinc oxide. Worked much better than the skimpier stuff.

    Exciting that she's almost walking!

    ReplyDelete