A quick recap of night 1: It initially took Jordyn 2 hours and 10 minutes to fall asleep. She then woke up just under 3 hours later, and we started over with the checks. It took her 1 hour and 35 minutes to fall back to sleep.
Tonight... it took her (drum roll, please)... 25 minutes... yes, TWENTY-FIVE minutes to fall asleep!!!!!
I only did 2 checks, one at 2 minutes, and one that was supposed to be at 4 (if you've done or read Ferber and are confused, I modified the timing of the check-ins), but ended up being at 12.45 minutes. And that was it. She was asleep in twenty-five minutes flat!!! I'm astounded, to be honest.
There is most certainly an element of sheer exhaustion playing a role, but I'd like to think Ferber is working, too, and that she'll be able to fall asleep by herself when she isn't as sleep deprived as she was tonight. She didn't have nearly enough sleep last night, and then today she only napped for 1 hour, 1 time. She was SO incredibly tired by bedtime.
So, assuming bedtime continues to go well, the only thing I'm still really struggling with is naps. There's not nearly enough information in Ferber's book about how to handle naps. It says to use the same check schedule for naps, but that if she isn't asleep in 30 minutes, to end that nap time. But then what?? Are you supposed to try again later? How much later? What if it ends up being too late in the day? Or should you resort to "whatever works" for naps until you get bedtime under control?
I tried the same check schedule as last night, but I gave up at about 38 minutes. She really wasn't even beginning to settle down. I really wanted her to nap in her crib, so that I could take an nap, too, but that just wasn't to be. I ended up giving up, but still not letting her fall asleep in my arms (which I think may have happened pretty quickly and easily). I put her in the car, and she fell asleep on the way to our friends' house for an impromptu play date. When we got there, I transferred her into the baby's crib, and she slept for a total of one hour. When she woke up, I had been planning to wake her up in a few minutes anyway, because I didn't want her to nap too late in the day and then not be tired enough at bedtime. She was clearly still very tired when she woke up, but miraculously, she didn't fall asleep on the way home a while later, and stayed up until I started Ferber at 8:10. She was asleep at 8:35!
Oh, one other thing to add... I did give her tylenol tonight just before bed, so I guess there's a possibility that that played a role in her falling asleep so quickly. But again, I'd like to think it's at least partially Ferber taking effect! She has her one-year molars coming in, and I wanted to make sure she wasn't in any pain while I was letting her cry and scream.
To be continued...
8/24/13 Edited to Add: On Night 2, Jordyn slept from 8:35-11:55, and it took 28 minutes for her to go back to sleep. I only did one check, though, at 2 minutes, and she was crying hard. But then she sat there quietly with only an occasional cry for about 24 minutes, so I didn't do another check, and she was asleep at 12:23, and slept until 6:30.
Yay! Sounds like you're on the road! Naps took several more months for us to master - and even now he always cries for a bit before sleeping, or sometimes doesn't sleep at all and I just go get him after an hour or so. Today he had no naps at all. It's kind of all over the place. But having a couple of hours "off" in the afternoon is heavenly.
ReplyDeletehooray!!! that is awesome progress!
ReplyDeletei've only read brief summaries of Ferber's methods, not the whole book, but the only 30 minutes of trying thing seems crazy to me.
check out Weissbluth's Happy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child for advice.
but i think i would do the exact same check-in schedule as you do for night time, but try for a LOT longer than 30 minutes! in fact, i don't see a reason to put a time limit on it. though i think Weissbluth limits it to an hour?
i would think it would be important to promote the same good sleep hygiene during nap time as you do at night. i suspect it would only take 3 days, like the nights, or even less, since she understands the program now. (for that matter, i would also impose a nap schedule, regardless of when she wakes up. it's amazing how well it works for us. but maybe i'm just a super strict kind of parent.)
also, fwiw, i have not found that the timing of the nap affects Calliope's ability to fall asleep at night. even if she doesn't nap until 4 pm (this has happened a couple times when we were flying back from Boston). not ideal, of course, but she went to bed at her regular bedtime despite napping so late. YMMV, but if you haven't ever had an issue, you may not.
congratulations on the rapid progress!
Has she always been a "difficult" sleeper? My son has always been a great sleeper, but the last week he has been awake for sometimes up to 2 1/2 hours! He quietly plays in his crib, but I'm not sure what is up with him.
ReplyDeleteI, too, referred to Happy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child. He had some great ideas. I'm not sure if they helped my son be a good sleeper (he started sleeping 12 hours straight at nine weeks old) or if I was/am lucky or a combination of both. His big "thing" is putting kids to sleep before they are tired. I found that to be so important (except of course this past week).
Hope things continue to go smoothly!
eagerly waiting for an update, please!
ReplyDelete免費裸聊qq號碼
ReplyDelete真人秀場在線聊天室
啪啪午夜直播app
午夜福利直播app有哪些
真人秀多人視頻
免費同城交友聊天室
午夜直播美女福利視頻
視訊聊天室破解版
在線聊天室你懂的
寂寞午夜交友聊天室