Sunday, August 11, 2013

Jordyn's First Birthday

Last Wednesday, August 7th, was Jordyn's first birthday.

I am absolutely 100% DUMBFOUNDED by this. How could an entire year possibly have gone by?!? I just can't even begin to wrap my head around it.

But apparently it's true. On Tuesday night, I posted on facebook, "Ah, to not be in labor right now! What a difference a year makes!". So true. SO true.

We had a great day on Jordyn's birthday! The weather was amazing, and we had a busy day with lots of outdoor time.

But first, I sang her "Happy Birthday" while I was in the shower. She hangs out in a pack-n-play in the hallway right outside the bathroom (and I leave the door open) while I shower. I have a bunch of toys and books in there for her, and usually she does ok, but sometimes if she starts to get cranky I'll sing to her from the shower. So "Happy Birthday" was the song of choice that morning!

My sister had called the evening before and said she wanted to see Jordyn on her actual birthday. We had a lot of plans already, but arranged for her to come over at 10:00 for a little while. I made pancakes, which Jordyn has had before, but usually my dad makes them, not me.

We met two other moms and babies at the Arlington Reservoir around 1:00 to hang out and go swimming. Jordyn also had her very first cupcake, sort of a mini smash cake (she had a real smash cake at her birthday party yesterday, but that's another post). My friend Ali had thought to bring cupcakes on Wednesday since it was Jordyn's actual birthday. Jordyn was very happy about that!

 Jordyn and her friend Oliver, in matching hats.

 Jordyn's first cupcake.

"That was delicious!"

When we arrived home from the reservoir, there was a bouquet of flowers, a small balloon, and a card sitting on the coffee table from my parents that my dad had brought over while we were out. The card was nice, written to both of us, saying that "one year ago [we] both made a lot of people very, very happy!!". It was a nice little surprise. 


Jordyn had fallen asleep in the car on the way home, so she didn't see the flowers and balloon until later. I took a shower while she napped, and then gave her a quick bath before we headed out to an outdoor, family-friendly, free jazz concert at Robbins Farm Park (a park in Arlington with a view of Boston from the top of the hill, where we sat). Ali, her husband, and their baby Lu, who's just a few months younger than Jordyn, met us there for the concert and a picnic dinner. 

 Lu and Jordyn.

 Jordyn with sort of a weird smile.

Jordyn making the funny face she's been making a lot lately - sort of an "o" with her mouth, but pulling her lips in around her teeth. 

Mommy and her birthday girl.

We both really enjoyed the day. Lots of time together, fun in the sun, great weather, great friends... Lots of great memories of her first birthday!

7 comments:

  1. Awww, happy birthday, Jordyn! Looks like the cupcake was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 1st birthday Jordyn!! Sounds like a great day! Such a cute picture of you two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little sidekick turned one last month. I just can't get over how amazing and fast that year was! I now understand when people always told me that it goes so fast. I totally "get it" now. Happy birthday to your sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Jordyn!!! Sounds like your day was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday Jordyn and congratulations Mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Jordyn! Looks like the perfect way to spend a birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, Jordyn!! Amazing how quickly a year can go by! I love the "o" face!!

    ReplyDelete