Wednesday, October 12, 2011

BBT, OPKs, and EWCM

Boy, if you're not in the fertility world, you sure aren't going to know what this post is about from the title, huh?!

I'm a little nervous about my cycle. And a little elated, too. Makes no sense at all, right?

First, the good news, and the reason I'm elated. This is my second month charting my cycle, and so far, it looks to be EXACTLY the same as last month. I was on the pill for a VERY long time, and just went on if in July, so I honestly had no idea what my cycle was going to do. It hadn't had a chance to prove itself in so long I was afraid it forgot what to do on its own. But, alas, it did not (so far, so good, at least).

The bad news, and the reason I'm nervous... I think I might have a luteal phase defect? I need to look up the shortest your LP can be without there being a problem. Because I'm pretty sure mine is only 10 days long. Last month, I surged on CD18 (+OPK), ovulated on CD20 (temp spike), and started a new cycle on day 31 (so, day 31 was really CD1 of the next cycle). So that's only a 10-day luteal phase, right? Is that long enough??? And this month looks to be exactly the same. Today is CD17, I just did an OPK, and there was a faint line, still negative, but closer to positive than it's been yet. So, I figure I'll probably surge tomorrow, CD18, same as last month. Which means my cycle is regular, right? But with a short LP. Or maybe I need to settle down and wait the rest of the cycle out and see when it ends before freaking out. Hmmm.

In other, yet related, news, I've been sort of worried about the whole egg white cervical mucus thing. I've been trying - pretty much in vain - to chart my CM, in addition to my BBT, but with not very clear results. I feel like it hasn't changed much throughout my cycle, so I was totally sure there must be a problem. Then today, of course, I notice what was pretty clearly EWCM. So, I likely have nothing to worry about in that respect - my body seems to be doing what's it's supposed to do.

I think I really just need to take a few deep breaths and relax!

3 comments:

  1. My understanding is a 10 day LP is kind of borderline - not bad, but not good. The good news is there are many ways to lengthen the LP either through natural or medical means. Do you have a clear temp shift before and after ovulation? Just checking because that will tell if you're actually ovulating or not. I had the EWCM, positive OPKs, and a temp shift of sorts, but still wasn't actually ovulating. Once again, though, many of these issues have an easy fix, so don't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how much fertility jargon there is out there? Two years ago I would have been clueless as to the meaning of terms like LP, OPK, BBT!

    ReplyDelete