Sunday, October 16, 2011

Three Things

I have three random things to write about. Here goes...

1. The most exciting of the three. I spoke to my mom today, and she told me something that made me very happy. :) She and my dad are currently visiting friends in Chicago, and they had a dinner party last night with a bunch of their mutual friends. One of the couple's son and daughter-in-law (or daughter and son-in-law?) just had a baby, so they shared that news. Then my mom decided to share the news that I want/am planning to have a baby as a single mom. She said they were all very excited and positive about it. She then admitted that she'd told them almost as a "test" (not sure if she used that exact word, that may be my word); she wanted to see how they'd react. And I got the feeling that when they reacted positively, it made HER feel better about it. She's never said this, but I wonder if maybe she's been worried about what other people (read: her friends) will think. These were the first people she's told, and she liked the reaction she got, so that's GOOD news! [My parents don't want to tell anyone in the city where they live now, because they figure they'll start being asked if they're going to move up to Boston. They ARE planning to do that, but for some ridiculous reason don't want anyone to know that yet.]

2. The weirdest of the three. I woke up yesterday morning with a vague memory of having woken up at least twice, but maybe more, during the night. Each time, I was shaking - almost like when you have a fever and get the chills, and you shake so hard it's like all your muscles are tightening up and you can't relax them. I hope I explained that right... I think I may have had a random thought, in my very-much-half-asleep (or more) state, of getting up to put another blanket on the bed or put on a sweatshirt or something, but never did. So then last night, when I was getting ready for bed, I thought about doing this, but decided not to, because - get this - I was worried it would mess up my BBT charting! (I may have actually had a point, there, but it seems so ridiculous now!). I surged a few days ago, and have been waiting to see a temp spike, and it hasn't happened yet, so I was really worried about messing it up, i.e. if I wear a sweatshirt to bed when I usually don't, would a higher temp be because of that, or because of ovulation?? [My temp has been slowly rising, just not spiking like it did last month, so I'm sort of confused and slightly worried]. So what happened? I woke up less than an hour after I fell asleep last night, but more awake than the first night, doing the same shivering/shaking/muscle tightening thing. What's weird is that I didn't even feel cold (just maybe my feet a little bit), never had a fever, didn't wake up wet from sweating out a fever or anything, and feel completely FINE. The other weird part is that prior to waking up, I had this dream: I was walking, and had major abdominal pain in the lower left quadrant, to the point that I doubled over and had to sit or lie down. I was sure it was either appendicitis or ovulation pain, but I couldn't figure out which it was! Then I woke up, but I can't figure out if the pain was only in the dream, or if it was actual pain that woke me up, in addition to the shaking. I was then fully awake, lying their shaking, unable to make my muscles stop contracting and making me shake. I figured I must have been cold, since it was again exactly like when you get the chills when you have a fever, only I didn't have a fever and didn't really feel like I had the chills. I was trying to figure out if I actually had any abdominal pain, but I couldn't separate out dream from reality for that part of it. But then the shaking stopped, and there was no pain, and I eventually fell back to sleep. And as far as I remember, stayed asleep the rest of the night. Weird, right? I hope nothing is wrong...

3. The funniest of the three. Yesterday I hung out with my new SMC friend, P. She and I are at about the same point on this journey - ready to start trying, but haven't yet. When we first met at our first SMC meeting in September, she was planning to start ttc in November, and I was planning for January. Then I pulled it back to November (hopefully!), and she recently found out about a medical issue that's preventing her from starting ttc until it's figured out. Anyway, I went to P's place and we walked to a restaurant for lunch. She told me she thinks there's a sperm bank right around the corner from her house, so on the way, we walked past it, and sure enough, she was right! It's one of the CCB locations, and it's literally a three minute walk from her house! So, of course, we had a completely hilarious (joking!!!) conversation about how she should sit somewhere with binoculars and camera and stalk the donors, stopping them just before they go in, and saying, "you know, you could just donate to me directly, I live right over there...", etc. Or take pics to match up to profiles, so she could have pics of her donor for free. We took it pretty far, and I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Gotta love the SMC world!

2 comments: