Thursday, December 15, 2011

Dinner with My Dog

Ok, so it wasn't exactly dinner "with" my dog... but we had the exact same thing for dinner. And no, I didn't eat dog food!

Read on to become un-confused...

After Monday, my dog continued to poop in the house, but it turned into (TMI warning!!) bloody diarrhea. At least it was mostly downstairs on the hardwood floor, and a little on the rug in the guest room, and not too much (but a little) in my closet! So, I realized I needed to take her to the vet. The vet said it could be something she ate, could be a virus, or could be an infection. She tested for the infection (no results yet), gave her sub-q fluids, and put her on antibiotics. She also said I shouldn't let her eat anything last night, and then have her eat plain white rice and either chicken breast or eggs today and tomorrow. I don't eat chicken, so I don't have that in the house. Nor do I want to have to try to figure out how to cook it, or to handle raw chicken. So I got eggs.

Meanwhile... since Tuesday, I've been subsisting on a diet consisting mostly of ginger ale, ginger snaps, saltines, graham crackers, and toast. I basically want NOTHING to eat, I mean, absolutely nothing appeals to me. I went to two grocery stores yesterday (Whole Foods and a regular one), and walked up and down pretty much every aisle, waiting for things to look appealing. Nothing really did. I ended up buying the things I listed above, and a couple other random items like peppermint tea, peppermint candies, and almond and ginger biscotti. Basically anything I could find with ginger in it.

And my sister is making me matzoh ball soup. For some reason, I want a matzoh ball. I don't know if this is an actual craving, or just another random carb that I think I could force down. But she's bringing it over tomorrow, so I'll have it for the weekend.

I've been eating enough to not let my stomach get empty, but basically just a few crackers here and there throughout the day.

Which brings us to tonight's dinner. I made plain white rice and hardboiled eggs.

For the dog.

Yes, I did think that maybe I'd have some of the rice, and kind of laughed at how ironic it was that my dog and I currently have the same diet. And I even thought that maybe I'd try to eat some hardboiled egg, maybe even just the white (my cholesterol is very high). I decided to chop up the egg and mix it in with the rice, otherwise I was afraid my dog would only eat the egg. And then I looked at it and actually thought, hey, I think I could maybe eat that!

So I chopped up another egg and added it to my bowl of rice. Mostly white, with just a tiny bit of yolk - the dog got the rest. And I was actually able to eat it! I'm feeling good that I was able to eat some actual protein for once. Is this what they mean when they talk about wanting to eat random foods in random combinations? I mean, white rice and hardboiled egg?? Closest thing I can think of is fried rice, but that's not quite the same thing, and that doesn't sound remotely eat-able to me right now.

People who know me know I LOVE food. I LOVE to eat. I'm not too picky, generally, although I don't eat meat and there are certain things I just really don't like (raw tomatoes, for one). So for me to not feel like eating ANYTHING is just really very, very weird. I don't want chocolate, I don't want french fries, I don't want pizza (some of my favorites), I don't want ANYTHING.

But somehow white rice and hardboiled egg I was able to eat. Go figure!

4 comments:

  1. This made me think -
    Me + R + Dewey's Pizza = Best Cincinnati Memories
    Hope that pizza starts sounding good again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (My dog came back from being boarded with the exact same problem, not fun to deal with at all.) I seem to be on a rice kick too, and also chilled peaches. It is a very weird feeling to not crave foods you normally love, and it really does make for a boring trip to the grocery store. Hopefully soon the nausea/food aversion will move on for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny! Glad you found something other than ginger to enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete