Friday, June 8, 2012

Heartburn Hell

Last night, I got home at 12:30am after another agonizing 12-hour work day. I was completely exhausted (and I'd actually slept ok the night before!) and couldn't wait to get horizontal in my bed.

I got into a semi-comfortable position, fell asleep around 1am, and woke up at 2:30 with severe heartburn.

I got up, went to the bathroom, took 3 Tu.ms, and lay back down.

Nope. Severe heartburn.

I got back up and got a second pillow to prop my head up a little.

Nope. Severe heartburn.

I got back up and got more pillows, and got back in bed in a semi-reclining/semi-sitting position. Took one more Tu.ms for good measure.

Nope. Severe heartburn.

I got back up and came downstairs, rifled through a few half-unpacked bags from last weekend's trip to find the Zan.tac, since I couldn't remember where it was and it was now sometime after 3am.

I don't know how long Zan.tac takes to work, but not quickly enough! When I got back into bed...

Nope. Still severe heartburn.

Somewhere in there were a few tears of frustration and exhaustion, but I don't remember exactly where. It really sucks to be so completely exhausted and want to sleep so damn badly, but every time you get into bed you're immediately in severe pain.

I finally came downstairs and googled "pregnancy heartburn relief". Discovered that I had already done/not done (as you're supposed to) pretty much everything on the list... I hadn't eaten spicy food, or caffeine, or citrus, or chocolate. I hadn't eaten in the past 2-3 hours, and I hadn't lay down right after eating. I hadn't eaten a ton at once. I had propped up my head in bed. I wasn't wearing tight-fitting clothes. I've only gained 9 pounds so far this pregnancy. I'd taken Tu.ms and Zan.tac.

I warmed up half a glass of milk, sat on the couch, and turned on the tv. Sipped the milk slowly. Finally was able to sit/lie back on the couch in a semi-reclining position and fell asleep a little after 4am (I think). Woke up at 9am in the same position and couldn't fall back to sleep.

Lovely. It's a good thing I don't have to work again today!

And the weird thing is, I haven't had much heartburn at all this pregnancy, maybe 2-3 minor episodes. I mean, I know it often gets worse as you get into later pregnancy, but still. It better not become a nightly occurrence!



4 comments:

  1. Glad you finally found a position that gave you some relief. Heartburn sneaks up on me some nights and I haven't been able to figure out what the trigger is really. Usually it is fairly mild, and Tu.ms do the trick, but I can't stand the after taste of the Tu.ms when I wake up several hours later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had good luck with papaya enzyme tablets from the health food store. they taste way better than tums and were actually more effective!

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I remember this! Nothing worked for me except giving birth - but definitely keep looking for solutions! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ice cream worked wonders for me. Well, that and Prilosec. :)

    Your ticker says 59 days to go - holy cow!

    ReplyDelete