But today was my first prenatal appointment, and I heard the heartbeat! Yes, heard, not saw, because my midwife practice only does a doppler at this appointment. They don't even really do ultrasounds at their office - you go to the main hospital for them. I can honestly say that I didn't really "feel" anything when I heard it. I mean, I wasn't like, "oh my god, there it is, that's my baby's heartbeat!!" or have some crazy realization that "wow, so there really IS a baby growing in there!". I was just like, "ok, that's cool".
But, I recorded it on my phone, and once I got home and listened to it a few times, I felt a little more excited about it. As I've said, and I still believe, I'm going to need an ultrasound to actually SEE this thing before I can get really excited. And I also think I need to feel better.
But, the heartbeat WAS cool. The doppler wouldn't display a heartrate; the midwife thinks it was confused because it was picking up my heartbeat, too. But she said to her "trained ear" it sounded like around 170-180 beats per minute.
Then she said congratulations, and that my risk of miscarriage went down to either 1% or less than 1% (I forget which). So, that's good.
[I tried to put the audio/video of the heartbeat in this post, but I kept getting an error message, so I gave up.]
They'd had me undress completely because supposedly this appointment comes with a full physical exam, but the midwife said I didn't need to do any of that since I just had a physical exam and pap with them recently (required before starting the insemination process).
Before the heartbeat, the midwife and I just talked, she reviewed my health history with me, asked me some questions, and I asked her mine. Nothing really new in terms of helping me feel better, other than the suggestion to take unisom, but I'm afraid to take that the night before I have to work for 12 hours... Maybe I'll try it on a night when I'm not working the next day. And she told me to take colace for constipation (due to pregnancy and enhanced by the Zofran, awesome).
I had a lot of bloodwork done. Even though I don't think I really need this, I'm having a cystic fibrosis and Ashkenazi Jewish panel done, to see if I'm a carrier for anything. It's highly unlikely it'll even matter, since the donor was tested for anything he'd be likely to carry, but I figure if insurance will cover it, I'd like to know.
One other random thing that really doesn't belong in this post:
I logged on to the CCB website a week or two ago and reported my pregnancy. Not sure why I did this so soon, but I figured I can always go back and update it if needed. So then a few days letter, I received a whole packet in the mail of printouts of most of the donor info from the site - stuff I had paid to be able to view, but not save or print out! There was a letter thanking me for reporting my pregnancy, and that they were sending me this donor information packet as a thank-you gift. I REALLY liked this, not just because I got the info without having to pay extra for it (which I was completely planning to do eventually), but also because it shows that CCB really does value the tracking progress, and really does want people/families to report their pregnancies and births so they can track them. Two points for CCB!
Congrats on hearing the heartbeat, it is a bit surreal isn't it? Thanks for reminding me to report my pregnancy to the bank, I keep forgetting!
ReplyDeleteOh, and by the way, since going public, I have only had positive comments. Even people that I thought would have issues (due to their religious beliefs) were very positive and supportive. It is a huge relief!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on this milestone! It's great to have the odds of miscarriage go way down, isn't it? Them comes the fun of ultrasound pics that start to look more and more like a real baby. For sure takes the edge off that first trimester misery (you know I've been there)!
ReplyDeleteYay for a heartbeat! How much longer do you have to wait for your ultrasound?
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool, the bank sending you that packet. I love that!
Thought you'd like to know, I was talking to the child life specialist at the oncology office today about being a SMC and she told me she had been considering it. So of course I told her about you! :)