Here's a scenario for you:
There's a girl you knew growing up as a kid. Your families used to live down the street from one another - waaaay back when - your parents knew each other, and you used to play together in the neighborhood. You were never "best friends", but you knew each other well enough for a fairly long time when you were kids.
You grow up, you go to different schools, she moves away, you move away, and you're out of touch for 20+ years, probably even closer to 25+ years.
But then you reconnect on facebook and meet for lunch. Once.
Would you then invite yourself to her baby shower???
Assuming you're sane, I'm thinking the answer is likely a resounding "NO".
Am I right?
Well, that's what happened. This girl contacted my mother via facebook to ask if I was having a shower. My mother then gave her the name of my friend who's hosting the shower (thanks, Mom!). The girl contacted her, managed to invite herself to my shower, and has apparently offered to help with the shower more than once.
WTF???
I should also add that said girl has messaged me on facebook numerous times asking me to get together again. I've tried to explain that my life is crazy right now, I have a to-do list a mile-and-a-half-long and growing, and that I just really don't have the time. That worked for about a week and a half. Then she messaged me three times in about a week. The thing is, the more she pushes to get together, the more I'm pulling away - the less likely I am to actually *want* to get together with her!
She's turning into a stalker, am I right?
So what do I do?
I've been ignoring her facebook messages, hoping she'll get the point and back off. And hoping she won't come to the shower. But maybe I should send her a message, and explain that it seems odd to me that she'd invite herself to my shower, considering we've laid eyes on each other exactly ONCE in over 20 years?!
The thing is, she's nice, and she means well, but she's a little annoying and eccentric. Which isn't the end of the world, but my life really *IS* crazy right now, and while I am spending time with friends, there are people who are much higher than her on my priority list to spend time with right now. Meeting her for lunch and catching up was nice, but it was never my intention to start a serious friendship with her. I guess she has other plans...
I am working on growing my village... but I honestly just don't think I want her to be a part of it. I'm not desperate for villagers, you know? And her level of pushiness - and lack of social graces (i.e. the knowledge that inviting yourself to an event like a baby shower isn't appropriate!) - makes me completely uninterested in pulling her into my village.
I'm betting you probably wouldn't even invite yourself to a baby shower for someone who you've SEEN WEEKLY for 20+ years. Because you just aren't supposed to do things like that. Right? Or am I missing something here...
I really don't like feeling anything other than excited about my baby shower. But this has put a damper on that feeling, and it sucks.
If she comes, she better get me/the baby one helluva gift...
Haha, good luck! I've discovered a whole bunch of awkward social moments with baby showers. It is really hard to create an invite list without leaving people out, but also not inviting people that are then going to be mad due to the obligations of buying a gift.
ReplyDeleteTell her you dont want to be friends and you don't want her there cause it sounds like you don't. Otherwise she'll go to the shower, bring you a gift and want to be friends afterwards, none of which you want minus the gift. Save her time and money and you the feelings of obligation and unhappiness and just end it sooner than later. If you think she's turning into a stalker, why would you want her to think she's still invited? Who would?
ReplyDeleteI had many awkward moments around my shower, including having to lie to an 80-year-old woman that I had sent her invite to the wrong address (never intended to invite her), and similar to your situation, someone I barely know walking up to me at a party and insisting on being invited (I didn't). What is up with people's lack of social skills...?
ReplyDelete