Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Back to Sleep

I think the shitty sleep phase is over.

Thank G-d!!!

Saturday afternoon, we both took 2.5 hour naps - separately, Jordyn on the floor of her room, if I remember correctly, and me in my bed. It took a while to get her to sleep, but then I immediately crawled into bed and woke up just minutes before her. I felt like a different person after that, and my SMC-to-be (pregnant!!) friend K came over and hung out with us, and the rest of the day was an improvement over the first half, when I was so exhausted I was literally useless. I spent the entire day in my pajamas, never took a shower.

I don't remember the details of Saturday night, but I believe Jordyn went to sleep easily, and then woke up once around 3:45 or so. I got her back to sleep in her crib after about 40 minutes of playing the go-the-fuck-back-to-sleep game, but then of course it took me another 40 or so minutes to fall back to sleep.

Since I got absolutely nothing accomplished on Saturday, and really needed to have done laundry and started packing for our Vermont trip, I pawned Jordyn off on my parents on Sunday afternoon. I tried to get things done in the morning with her around, but it takes ten times longer to do laundry when she "helps" me put things in the machines and presses the buttons. We were going to my parents' house for dinner that night, anyway, so it made sense for them to have her there for a few hours beforehand so I could get things done. I really do appreciate my parents helping me out in that way, and they loved having her.

Sunday night, oh Sunday night! SHE SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!! And I went to sleep early (well, for me - at 10:00) because I was anticipating being up in the middle of the night, so I got a great night's sleep. She went to sleep easily, and stayed asleep the entire night. I actually had to wake her up Monday morning, because I had to go to work, and she had to go to school (daycare). That was a first. There had been a couple of mornings I thought I may need to wake her up, but then she woke up just before I was to, but I actually did on Monday. I was terrified she was going to be a miserable mess from being woken up, but she'd had such a good sleep, that she was just a little disoriented for a few minutes, and then she was fine.

Monday night she slept through the night again. :)  The only problem was... I didn't. I woke up at 4:27, to be exact, and had to pee. Then I couldn't fall back to sleep, and ended up laying in bed until a couple of minutes before 6:00, when I turned my alarm off before it went off and got up to shower. She fought me on going to sleep last night, so it wasn't as easy as the night before. She screamed and cried when I put her in bed, and I had to do a couple of checks, and once she'd pooped, so I changed her. She cried again when I put her back in her crib, but stopped within a few minutes, sat there for a while playing with her stuffed animals, and then eventually lay down and went to sleep. I again had to wake her up this morning, as I was working and she was going to school again.

Tonight wasn't perfect, but it was much better than last night. She cried pretty hard for a few minutes, but it didn't last too long, and she settled and went to sleep much quicker than last night. I'm hoping for a third great night of sleep, as we're driving to Vermont tomorrow for Thanksgiving/Thanksgivukkah.

So my theory is now that the issue is daycare. I mean, I don't think it'll be an issue for long, as she's already doing much better than she was. But a day or two ago, I clicked on a link from facebook to some list of top 10 reasons... something or other, and at the bottom, there was a list of "other lists you may like". One of them was something like "top 8 side effects of daycare we weren't prepared for". I clicked on it, and one of them was that their child didn't like to sleep alone after he started sleeping in a room full of all his friends when he was at daycare. Hmmm. I think Jordyn likes sleeping in a room with other people, and once she realized that was an "option", she doesn't want to sleep in her room alone anymore. I also think she misses me, because when I hug her goodnight she holds on tight and doesn't want to let go. She did pretty well on Saturday and Sunday nights when she hadn't been to daycare in a couple of days, but then it got rough again to get her to sleep last night, when she'd been at daycare that day. She hasn't slept on the floor since nap on Saturday, but it's been kind of hard to get her to sleep in her crib. But at least once she's asleep she's STAYING asleep!

Now if we can just survive sharing a room and her sleeping in a pack and play in Vermont for a few nights without totally messing up her sleep again, I'll be a happy mommy!

_______________________________________________________________

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

And Happy Thanksgivukkah, to those to whom it applies!


2 comments:

  1. So glad you are back to getting better sleep again!

    It's amazing how rough it is when sleep is bad, isn't it?

    Calliope is a very good sleeper, except when she's sick. And we just went through ANOTHER round of illness. The good news is that she has no desire to get in my bed. She wants to be in her crib.

    The bad news is that she feels awful and there's little I can do to comfort her. And I can't stay in my bed and listen to my sick toddler wail from the other room. So I hop up and run in there and hold her for a minute -- sometimes against her protests -- and try to figure out what the problem is. It sucks.

    And man, was I tired! We forget so quickly, right? I can't believe I endured multiple wakings a night when she was a newborn.

    Hoping for smooth travel! Hopefully the transition back won't be too bad!

    ReplyDelete