Monday, August 6, 2012

Crying Wolf??

Ok, I hope I'm not crying wolf here, but this could be it... for real.

I've been timing contractions since 2:30, and it's now 5:15. They're definitely much easier to time now, as in, I can pretty much figure out when to hit "start" and when to hit "stop". The first bunch I wasn't so good at, but they've gotten easier to time as they've been going on. They're more painful, but not taking my breath away. Yet. (ha!). With some of them, there's a lot of pressure in my butt, which is annoying, because it's uncomfortable, and because I know the baby is not going to come out that way!

*TMI Warning... I had bloo.dy show earlier today, actually maybe even just a few minutes before the contractions started. I called my midwives' office to make sure it wasn't anything they wanted to see me for, because some of it was blood without muc.ous, and I didn't know if that meant anything. Turns out, the midwife who was on at the office today, L, is the one who will be doing my bio.physical profile and non-st.ress test tomorrow, if it comes to that. When I asked, she said she could also do a cervical check, even though it's not typically part of that appointment. She asked me some questions, and said the blood is nothing to worry about as long as it's just a little bit, like when I wipe, and not filling a pad like with a period. It's basically a sign of the cervix ripening (or opening? whatever).

Turns out, using a contraction timing app on your phone has it's downfalls. If you're on the phone, and you have a contraction, you can't time it! So even though I note the time and length, it messes up the data, because the app gives you a summary of the length and interval of the last 5 and 10 contractions, and if you miss one (or some), it can't include it (them). And there doesn't seem to be a way to add it in later. So, you can either time contractions accurately OR make phone calls, like to your mother, your midwives, or your doula! Or whoever else, obviously. You have to try to make a call right after a contraction, and then finish up the call before you have another one, in order to not miss timing it with the app. It's possible, at least when your contractions are spaced out pretty far, but it doesn't always work. Just something to keep in mind. :)

I did call my mom, a while ago, but I put her off so she doesn't come too early and just get bored. I mean, I'm doing fine by myself, and I'm perfectly capable of hitting "start" and "stop" on my own. I'm just hanging out on the couch, and there's really no need for me to have anyone here at this point. I also didn't know if this was going to turn in to anything or peter out again, and I don't want to cry wolf with my mom, either (not that she'd get mad or anything, I just don't want to waste her time or have it get as frustrating for her as it is for me!). I think the contractions are averaging about 10-11 minutes apart, as best as I can tell, and lasting from 30 seconds to 1 minute, give or take. So, I think I have some time.

I also called my doula to give her a heads-up. She's a massage therapist, and has appointments at 5:30 and 6:45. She said her massage clients are aware that she has a doula client who could go into labor at any time, and are fine with being rescheduled. She offered to reschedule her 6:45 appointment in case I need her, but I told her not to. A difference of one hour? I think I'll be ok. And I'm realizing that I knew what I was talking about a long time ago when I said I don't want an audience - I'm quite happy doing this all by myself, at least for right now!

Oh, I never did go out to my parents' house today because I had the first bloo.dy show as I was getting ready to go, and then the contractions started, so I decided to stay home. I'm so glad I didn't go out there earlier!

I'll try to continue updating, but this could be the last one for a while... Actually, I kind of hope it is!

5 comments:

  1. This could be it!!! I hope you get to meet your daughter soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! You are doing really well. Sending lots of support your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo hoo! I really hope it didn't peter out again :( That instead you mom is over at your house because it's that time (or you're even somewhere else at this time. . .)
    Yay :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, congratulations and good luck with everything!

    I found this page via a web search for "contraction timer app" and wanted to mention that I make a different contraction timer app for iPhone called "Labor and Contraction Timer". It lets you enter contractions afterwards if you're on the phone or edit any contraction you've entered already. And the stats will be re-computed, etc.

    I have a few spare promo codes good for about another week if you or anyone commenting here would like to try it. You can email me via the contact form at earlybirdsoftware.com or at mkale at earlybirdsoftware dot com.

    Thanks and congratulations again! -Mike

    ReplyDelete