Thursday, August 2, 2012

Nope.

Nope, no baby yet.

Someone commented on my last post, saying I "must feel like a watched pot!". And you know what? That's EXACTLY what I feel like!

And I don't like it, not one bit! It's very stressful. And puts a lot of pressure on me to have this baby already - like I can really control when I go into labor. I mean, I know I could take a walk or bounce on the exercise ball, but come on... I can't REALLY control when things start to actually happen!

She's going to come when she's good and ready. Not when I flip a switch or something!

It's not you guys who are stressing me out - it's my family. Everyone's on Baby Watch 2012, calling to check in, calling to see how I feel, calling to see if I'm in labor... I know it's because they care, but it really does make me feel like a watched pot! And it makes it hard to just relax and rest, which I somehow thought is what I'm supposed to be doing?!

I have some family coming into town this weekend, and they want to meet the baby. Well... I don't know what to to tell them! It may or may not happen. But I really don't want to be sitting around with everyone, still pregnant, with everyone watching me, just waiting for me to grab my belly and say, "Ouch! Ok, this is it!".

My mom says that won't happen and it's all in my head that I feel like I'm being watched.

My sister called earlier to say she was going to stop by after work to see me, and because she wanted to see my belly, because "mom said it dropped".

Now how is that in my head?! I tried to explain to my sister that I don't want to "be on display", and she tried to tell me that that's what happens when you're big and pregnant and about to give birth - people look at you. And that it's normal, and just how it is.

Oh, really?! This from her who's never been pregnant. WTF? I told her that no, it doesn't have to be that way, people don't need to make me feel like I'm on display and being watched! That it makes me uncomfortable and I really don't want it to be that way. It's one thing for some random person at the grocery store to glance at me and then away, and I know they're thinking something like, "Wow, she's about to pop!", and another thing for my mom to broadcast every little tiny thing to my whole family, and for said family to say things like they want to come over to see my dropped belly. Right?!

Ok, maybe I am making too much out of this. But it's stressing me out, whether it's true or not. And I'm sure that's not helping things.

You know what else isn't helping? This horrible cold I have managed to come down with. I barely slept last night, and managed maybe 6 hours total, all broken up, some in my bed and some on the couch, and with a 2-hour or so stretch of being wide awake from about 3:30-5:30am. It's hard enough having to try to get comfortable enough to sleep when you're 40 weeks pregnant, but then add to that ALSO having to sleep propped up so your sinuses can drain enough for you to be able to breath enough for you to be able to sleep. And don't forget waking up to pee every 1.5-2 hours once you do fall asleep. Ugh.

I don't want to take an antihis.tamine at night, because I don't want to be sleepy from it and then go into labor. And during the day, I don't want to take su.dafed, because it'll keep me awake and I won't be able to nap, which I really need to do to try to make up for the lack of sleep last night and so I have some energy for whenever labor happens. So, tyl.enol and sinus rinse are having to suffice, and they just don't.

Ok, rant over. Sorry so negative. I guess this hanging out on the couch trying to rest and relax and wait for labor to start thing is starting to get to me!



A BIG, HUGE thank you to my friend K who came over for a while earlier, listened to me vent, and took my dog to her house for a sleepover with hers - it's so nice to not have to worry about getting the dog out for some exercise and to pee/poop when it's really hot out, I'm really pregnant, and I don't feel good!


4 comments:

  1. Just wait until you actually go into labor and head to the hospital, then people will really start nagging you to find out if the baby has arrived or not. I swear my cell and my mom cell didn't stop with the ringing and texting of people inquiring how things were going. It really pissed me off, we had better things to focus on like oh, I don't know, maybe, having a baby! I don't know if it was worse because of my very long labor or if this is a normal phenomenon. My advice, shut off the cellphones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice from Ali! Turn off your phone. And try not to tell anyone you don't absolutely have to that you are going to the hospital!

    I'm sorry that you are feeling so crappy but hopefully that baby will wait until you feel a little better! My advice would be to take the antihistamines or whatever will make you feel better because you know what they say to do when you first go into labor? Drink some wine and go to sleep! So anything that helps you sleep AND feel better... awesome!

    The odds of anything exciting happening right away are very slim.

    And otherwise, don't worry about being tired. I mean, try to rest, but don't let fatigue stress you out. Everyone is tired by the end of pregnancy.

    And I have already decided that for my next pregnancy (god willing!), I will say that my due date is two weeks later than it actually is! That "watched pot" thing is the worst! The receptionist at my acupuncturist/chiro office (where I was going every day to try to get labor started at the end) would say, every day, "you're STILL pregnant???"

    I wanted to say, "no, I had the baby, I'm just still really fat." I mean, seriously!!!

    Instead, I had the chiropractor use the same line back to the receptionist, every single day, when SHE was post dates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the movie scene in my head where you grimace a little and clutch your belly, "This is it!" ;)
    Sorry everyone is waiting around you with bated breath. I can only imagine! Have a feeling this is what I'll go through too (and since the whole family knows---extended as well---I'm sure I'll get to deal with it from the get go/TTC) So my thoughts and sympathies and empathies are with you!!!
    Well then let's just hope that this cold goes away and then you go into labor, so at least you don't have to deal with that too!
    Hope you get some rest tonight, and glad your friend came over, was a friend to you and took doggie for a sleep over, what a sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finn was born 10days late, and I vividly remember how you're feeling right now! I can't imagine having a cold on top of it - I hope that goes away very quickly.

    As for the antihistamine - if you do go into labor after taking it, the adrenaline will kick in quickly enough to negate any effects from it. Really.

    ReplyDelete