Monday, November 28, 2011

Is This For Real??

On Friday I did two more pregnancy tests, the same brands that I'd done on Thursday.

And they were positive, of course.

And then today I did two more, not because I doubted I'm pregnant, but because I wanted to see if I was "more" pregnant. To see if the test line got darker on the First Response test, and to see if the cheap internet test would finally come up positive (it didn't on Thursday, and I might have tried it again on Friday, but it wasn't positive until today). I wasn't worried that the cheap one hadn't been positive (at least not that I could tell) before today, as both fancy-brand tests (First Response and Clearblue Easy) were positive on both previous days. I figured if the cheap one was positive today, and/or the test line was darker on the First Response, then that would mean my hcG was rising. No idea if this actually makes sense, as I made it up, but I figured it couldn't hurt. :)

And of course the cheap test was positive, and the line was darker on the First Response test. Yay!

And then I called my midwives office and asked to come in for a beta, which I did (I'll get the results tomorrow).

I'm not sure why, but I seem to be having a LOT of trouble realizing this is FOR REAL. That in nine months I will actually be having a baby. I mean, I'm doing all the right things, like eating healthy and making sure the goat cheese on the salad I want to order is pasteurized (learned that lesson!!), and I'm still having symptoms like sore breasts, fatigue, peeing a lot, very hungry... but it STILL hasn't sunk in.

I just read another SMC blogger's post, and found this:
SO TRUE! Yesterday was when AF would have arrived, and she didn't.

Right. She wasn't supposed to.

I think what's happening is my mind has a way of trying to protect itself. Like when I kept telling myself that the first IUI was just a "dress rehearsal", almost didn't even count, was "just practice", etc. --- So that I wouldn't have too much of an emotional letdown when it didn't work.

Right. That didn't happen.

But now I can feel myself doing it again. I should just be enjoying this time, I know, but I'm telling myself that it's WAY too early to be sure, to know if this is going to stick, that I actually WILL be having a baby in 9 months. Wait, make that 8 months. Holy shit.

Ok, so maybe it's starting to sink in a little. :)

6 comments:

  1. Just wait until you're 8 months pregnant and big as a horse and you still can't believe that you're gonna have a baby. And then you have a baby in your arms and you say to yourself "holy mother of God, this thing is mine, like, forever?!" It's a surreal experience.

    It'll sink in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It still hasn't sank in for me and my son is nine months old. I didn't think it would work the first shot either and I guess my brain hasn't realized that it did. Maybe it will sink in for you and maybe it wont either way its happening! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Gille...it still hasn't sunk in for me. Some mornings, in those 1st few seconds I'm awake, I get this pang of fear that it's all been a dream. Then I hear E breathing beside me & feel her curled up to my side. Even as she plays across the room, I stare at her & can't believe she's mine. It really helps that you're writing about it, keep recording all your feelings, reactions & being pregnant stories because being able to go back & read them is priceless. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think feeling it's unreal is a totally natural reaction, especially when it's something you've wanted for a long time and/or had a fear may not ever happen for you. I am 23 wks pg now and still often (as above) wake up and think I dreamed the whole thing. Sometimes I wonder if I'll be sitting at my son's college graduation thinking, "yeah, still doesn't feel real to me"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm now at 8 weeks, and it still hasn't hit. I'm still convinced that it is a hysterical pregnancy, and that I only imagined all the BFPs! Something tells me that reality won't sink in until the baby has been in my home for at least a week!

    ReplyDelete